two

{the black pearl}

The sun had set for a few hours now and I laid in my bed, wearing my nightgown and reading a book. My mind, though, was somewhere else. At this point I'm not sure I was indeed reading that book and not just looking at the pages.

''Here you go, miss.'' the maid said and placed the metal hitting box at the end oh my bed under the covers.

''Thank you.'' I told her.

''It was a difficult day for you, I'm sure.'' she said and I sighed.

''I suspected commodore Norrington would propose, but I must admit I wasn't entirely prepared for it." I said with a smile. She looked at me confused.

''I meant you being threatend by that pirate! It sounds terrifying.'' she exclaimed and I mentally face palmed myself.

''Oh...'' I said trying to find the correct words. ''Yes, it was awful.'' I finally said.

''But... the commodore proposed! Fancy that. Well, that's a smart match miss. If it's not too bold to say.'' she said.

''No, you're right. It is a smart match. He's a good man, I know it. He's what every woman would dream of marrying.'' I said and she looked at me with sympathy.

''You don't sound sure, miss.'' she said and I looked at her. ''Is there someone else, another fine man perhaps...?'' she asked and my lips tightened.

''That is too bold.'' I told her.

''Well, begging your pardon, miss. It was not my place.'' she said, avoiding my eyes, before leaving my room. When she did I immediately jumped out of the bed and put on my robe.

~

I walked out of my room trying to be as quiet as possible so no one hears me. I quickly found my way to Elizabeth's room and stepped inside without knocking. After I closed the door behind me I looked at her. She was in bed reading a book just like I was.

''Audrey, what's the matter?'' she asked me and I sat on her bedside. When she saw my face she sat up and placed her book on the night stand. ''Do you want to talk about what happend today?'' she asked once more.

''I...don't know. I feel like something is changed inside me.'' I confessed. She looked at me confused and worried.

''Like what?'' she asked.

''That man... there is something about him. He made me feel nervous and some kind of strange. I don't know how to explain it to you. It was like he wasn't afraid to touch me. I've never been treated by anyone, especially a man, like this before.'' I trailed off.

''Audrey.'' Elizabeth said with a warning tone. ''He's a pirate, of course he's not afraid to touch you. Don't you know how pirates treat women? Haven't you heard so much about this? Pirates don't have a sense of justice nor propriety.'' she started and I sighed.

''I know all this!'' I exclaimed.

''Then why are you even talking about that bloody pirate?'' she asked loudly.