Chapter Seven - Happy

Today was the day Wheal Leisure was re opening. Demelza and I were pouring out drinks for those attending which were, minors, their families and the investors as well as us from Nampara. I handed out the drinks then watched as Ross stood to address them all.

"My friends. When my father closed this mine 20 years ago, he little thought it would have a future. Today, with your help, labour and good wishes we aim to prove him wrong. Gentleman, ladies, I declare the Wheal Leisure mine open." I cheer and clap. Everyone went to talk amount themselves.

"Sir." I pour out a couple more drinks then head to talk to Ross.

"I'm happy. For the miners and their families and you." I comment topping up his drink.

"My necks on the line, are you glad about that?" he wondered

"Oh no, what shall I do if it comes to harm...apart from taking the bayonet you stash behind the bookcase and shooting the man." I lightly joke and leave to go to Demelza

--------

I head back into the house, Jud was coming out of the kitchen grumbling about something as usual. Demelza was with Prudie. It wasn't hard to guess what had happened

"Another fight? About Rum again?" I sigh dropping the basket on the table

"How did you guess?" Demelza wonders

"Because it's always about the bleeding rum with them, they have a problem to thieving the stuff. So what is it this time." I question not bothering to look over but take what little vegetables had grown out of the basket.

"She's sprained it, won't be cooking vittles for three week." I roll my eyes

"Fine, I will do it. Now that my time in the study of the land is done. You can walk me through it. If it ain't hard for your fragile self." I pout. Demelza put the tea on as Prudie began to walk me through making the pie. Once it was cooked I placed it in front of Ross. He cut into it and told a slice, the took a bite.

"How long did you say Prudie will be unable to cook?" he wonders

"Demelza thinks about a month or so." I answer. He nods

"Have her delay it as long a possible." I broke out into a smile and curtsied before retreating back into the kitchen. Despite where I first started as a lady with a class status, now being here is much better.

-------

It was Jim and Jinny's wedding day. I rode with Ross to the celebrations then walked in the small gathering to the home of the two. I conversed with many of the people laughing and joking as a drank. I was then invite to dance. To be honest i can't remember the last time i had so much fun. I broke off for a drink then re joined. i glanced over at Ross beaming then nodded for him to join he hesitated at first but did so. We danced till after dark before returning home. Demelza was still awake but Prudie and Jud were snoring their heads off. Ross slated the door, waking Prudie

"A letter came from Trenwith, sir." Demelza handed it over as I sat down. Ross read the letter then handed it to me.

"Elizabeth and Francis have son." he told me before I could read the letter.

--------

Can I just say, I wanted to be anywhere but here at Trenwith, with Ross. I huffed out a breath as I handed over my cloak and entered with Ross.

"She will be glad you came." Ross mumbled

"Well I ain't doing it clear minded. I need a drink." I walked through the gathered people and found myself a drink, or two.

"Mistress Abigail, I would have wagered you would wish to stay way." Charles Poldark commented

"There is nothing I would like more." I downed my drinks then took two more heading back to Ross who was talking with the witch and the Warleggan's ."

"Harpy of a step mother. Warleggan's. What a horrible surprise." I comment handing a drink over

"Abigail, you look well." Harpy smiled fakery

"You look old, senile and desperate." I smile back. Ross takes my arm and guides me away. "What she was asking for it. Now I and going to say my hello's then go back home. I walk to where Francis and Elizabeth are.

"Abigail so nice to see you again." Francis beamed

"That's what people are telling me. Congratulations to the both of you." I finished my drink "Well, I'm going."

"Won't you stay a while, please Abigail." Elizabeth pleaded

"Oh no, my low tolerance for your mother prevents me from staying and not doing something to that wretched hag. Congratulations again." I curtsy and take my leave.

"I smile, I said hello and congratulations, now I'm going home. If you have the chance to stick it to the hag. Take it." he smirks and I gather my cloak walking back home.