Chapter Twenty Four - Drowning Sorrows

Jud brought in another bottle for Ross to drown his sorrows in and I asked Demelza to take the boys upstairs. When I came back I sat down across from him just as Verity arrived.

"Oh my dears, I heard about Jim." she began

"Say nothing, Verity. If I'm forced to relive it, I'm likely to explode." Ross replied pouring himself another drink. I gave a apprehensive look to my cousin in law.

"You must compose yourself before the ball." she responded

"Do you know who'll attend this bad?" He questioned rhetorically but Verity answered anyway.

"The very men who condemned Jim to die."

"How do you imagine I could go amount them?" he grumbled and I rubbed my forehead in anxiety.

"Because you must go amongst them. Your move in forcing the jail was recklessness and unlawful. Your presence among these people tonight will remind them you are one of them, a gentleman. It may make them think twice before moving against you." she argued.

"Your argument disgust's me." he sneered at her through his drunken and clouded grief ridden mind at his dearest cousin.

"Ross." I scold

"They disgust me too. But you have more than yourself to consider now." she rebuffed me. Ross turned his attention towards me.

"My wife and children."

"Will suffer." Verity states. She had the bravery to say what I knew to be true but in his state not voice it.

"As Jinny suffers." he sighs "Justice is a fine thing is it not." he grabbed the bottle and left

"Tonight will be no easy task. It may be the hardest ball ever to endure and attend." I rested my chin on my hand "So much for a fun night." I took my leave as well to ready myself for the evening. I did my hair and Demelza helped me into my dress. The two of us met up with Verity at the ball and Ross was keen to find endless supply of drink to get through the night.

"Where are you going now?" I ask exasperated as Ross left my side

"To aquatint myself with as much brandy as George can supply." he took a drink from a server and downed it before  going downstairs.

"This was a bad idea. He hasn't been sober since his return from Bodmin. He's turning himself into a bottle of brandy." I commented looking down at his retreating figure

"For you a think." she handed me a small box and i took out the note.

"From Ross." I opened it ip and there laid a beautiful jewel choker, he had planned to spoil me this night but after what happened everything seemed sour. "I can't, not with everything that's happened." I shake my head

"You cannot help them, my dear. But you can try to keep a lid on that powder keg below." she replied as we glanced at Ross who was talking with Elizabeth and Francis. Verity took the necklace and fixed it around my neck. There we go. Now let us go down. It'll take both of us to keep Ross in check."

"You'll not leave me?"

"Of course not, we must stick together." she smiled but then it dropped when she looked down. "Oh dear God." i turned to se what caught her gaze. Captain Blamey was here

"I must got to him. He must leave at once." she eft me and rushed downstairs

"So much for sticking by my side." I looked at all the faces around me and to say I stuck out like a sore thumb was an understatement. "Well, it's now or never." i mumble to myself and make my way downstairs. But all was not lost as I saw a familiar face

"Dwight, you are a sight for sore eyes. A much loved, kind face." I beamed as i reached the second to last step.

"Here is a gentleman, keen to make your acquaintance  Sir Hugh Bodregun. May I present Mistress Abigail Poldark?" My smile faltered a bit. I knew of Sir Hugh, had done for years but as expected his name in my circles had been tarnished for his roll in what happened to Jim. I curtsied.

"Enys tells me that we're neighbours. How come i could over look such a bloom, humm." he complimented me and I felt as if I had crawlers on my skin.

"Do you hunt, Ma'am?" he wondered

"Not since I was a little girl, sir. my knowledge and exercise is to put it kindly...a little rusty." He laughed at my reply.

"Dr Enys would you be be so kind." He understood and offers me his arm which I took. Sir Hugh walked ahead of us. Sir Hugh took Dwight and I to talk with some others, while Ross was finding his way through cops amounts of Brandy, I was grateful for the back up.

"Might I have the first dance?" Sir Hugh asked of me and I looked around fro Ross who I saw disappearing off somewhere, abandoning me.

"Of course." I smiled the whispered int Dwight's ear "Will you keep an eye on Ross?" he nodded and I was escorted away.