𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘

SITTING AT THE TABLE IT ALMOST FELT TOO NOSTALGIC. Irene couldn't help but remember the holiday celebrations and 'family' dinners with the other Avengers. "I think I could lead the Avengers," Ikaris stated very confidently. "Yeah right!" Irene called out. "You could never, Golden Boy." Ikaris rolled his eyes, "Oh like you could?"

Irene sat up straighter. "I have been a part of the team for a little over ten years, so yes. I would say I could." "You know Me and Thena weren't surprised to hear you had become an Avenger." Gilgamesh spoke up. Irene tilted her head as if to ask why. "You've always been the one to help people, especially when they need it most." Thena replied.

"Even though you were told to not interfere," Ikaris muttered. "Oh shut up, Ikaris." Irene started. "You've only ever cared about the 'mission', at least I wanted to do more to help them." "And look where that got you." He chuckled.

The others in the room could feel the tension between Irene and Ikaris. "What's that supposed to mean?" She stood up quickly, her chair falling to the ground. "All your friends are dead, and so many others." Irene grabbed Ikaris from across the table and slammed his head down. "They sacrificed their lives! For us! For all of us, and you did nothing, Ikaris! None of you did anything!" She looked around the room at the others. The tears were present in her eyes.

"I always hoped one of you would come and help us. But I should have known better." She released Ikaris and sat back down. "What is going on?" Sersi, who had gone outside for a moment, came back in. It looked like she had been crying. "Nothing, anymore." "Right, um," Sersi cleared her throat and went to sit back over by Ikaris. "I think we have a bigger problem on our hands, and it's not just deviants."

Irene sat forward. "What is it?" Sersi took a deep breath and started from the beginning.

"So you're saying we're not even real?" Sprite asked. Irene couldn't believe it. All this time Ajak knew and said nothing? Irene quickly stood up. "Irene," Sersi stood up as well. "I um, I need to go on a walk," Irene muttered. She quickly fled from the home and out into the desert. "Why wouldn't she tell me? Why wouldn't she tell any of us?"

Irene sat herself down under a thin tree trying to make sense of all of this.

"Ajak!" Irene cheered as she saw the woman riding in on a horse. She waved at her and ran closer. "Irene," Ajak replied jumping off of her horse. "It has been too long, my dear. How are you?" She asked Irene.

"I've been good, what about you. I see you're living the life." She laughed and nodded towards the horse. Ajak smiled, "You could say that yes. Come, why don't we sit down and have some tea?" Irene nodded and followed Ajak inside.

Her home was very cozy, Irene thought. "How's Druig?" Ajak asked, pouring two cups of tea. "Oh," Irene should have known Ajak was going to ask her about him. "Um, I think he's okay." The dark-haired woman gave Irene a questioning look as she handed her her tea and sat across from her. "We sort of, broke up?"

"What do you mean sort of?" Irene shrugged and avoided eye contact. "I- we had a disagreement of sorts and he didn't like what I was saying." Ajak gave her a confused look. "About what?" "I left him, Ajak." Irene looked at her mother figure with her eyes full of tears. "I had been visiting him off and on because he didn't want to tie me down, but I still wanted to be with him. And, and I asked him to come with me this time. To explore the world."

Irene took a short sip of her tea to help push down the tears. "He yelled at me, telling me I was selfish. That he couldn't just leave these people." She shook her head, trying to get rid of the thought of him. "Mm, I see." Ajak got up and pulled out the chair that was next to Irene. "When was this?" The girl sniffled, "Probably two or three hundred years ago."

Ajak softly brought Irene into her embrace, "It wasn't your fault. You are not the only one to blame. I'm certain he was just angry, he probably beat himself up afterward." Irene shook her head. "He never sought me out after." She cried. "Well did you try to go to him after?" Irene was silent. Ajak nodded her head. "Don't be scared to make the first move to amend things. That boy is and will always be in love with you."

Irene gave Ajak a small smile and let go of her, "Well, that's not why I am here." "So you're not here to visit? you just want to unload all your issues onto me?" She joked. Irene let out a little giggle and shook her head, "No, no I did want to visit you, but I wanted to tell you," She started. "I joined the Avengers."

Ajak seemed to have no emotion at first. "You mean the group of heroes here on earth?" Irene nodded with a smile. "Remember when I told you how I felt as if there was something more I needed to do?" Ajak nodded and returned back to her original seat. Irene could tell this news somewhat bothered the woman.

"This is it, Ajak. I know it. Protecting humans and saving them from other world threats!" Ajak shook her head. "You have always loved these people. You and Sersi both." Irene gave her a small smile, "Yeah I guess so, I just wish Druig would have come with me. Or any of the others." Ajak nodded. "Maybe it's best if it is just you." Irene nodded, "Well, all of you will be welcome with open arms, I'm sure."

Ajak gave her a tight-lipped smile. "I trust you will say nothing about the rest of us to anyone. About who you really are." Irene looked up and moved her fingers in front of her mouth like she was closing a zipper. Ajak nodded and stood up again. "You, my dear, are going to do great things. I am sure of it."

"Irene," Thena came up from behind Irene. "Thena, why wouldn't she tell us anything?" Thena took a seat on the ground beside Irene. She turned to grab her hand as they watched the sun go down. "I'm not sure, but I know she would never keep anything from us unless she knew it would protect us." Irene stayed silent but leaned her head on Thena's shoulder.

"I just wish she was more honest, and I am sure you wish that as well." Irene nodded. "I wish she was here to lead us through this." She whispered. Thena reached around and laid her hand down on Irene's hair. "Ajak chose Sersi for a reason, and we need to fully trust in her decision." Irene nodded, "Okay."

"Tomorrow we leave to find, Druig." Irene continued to stay silent. "You're not excited?" Irene shrugged. "I don't know. We kind of broke up a few hundred years ago." Thena was honestly shocked. "You two broke up?" Irene nodded. "Yeah, but it's okay. I won't let my feelings get in the way of trying to save the earth."

Thena chuckled. "You act the same as back in the day, you know that?" "Is that bad?" Thena shook her head. "Not at all."

AN: again thank you all for the love on this book🥺🤍🤍