𝟎𝟐𝟒

Karina's breathing became erratic as she frantically turned each corner in the Helicarrier in search of Bucky. Time was running out, and if they did not intervene, millions of people would end up dead. With that weight on her shoulders, she felt more pressure then than on any other mission, because she knew she was doing the right thing this time.

"Jesus," Karina muttered as the Helicarrier shook and she collided with a wall. They were still ascending quickly, and the Helicarrier would soon be in the proper position for the launch.

There were no agents to be found, and the Helicarrier was deserted except for the three people who had the ambition to risk their lives for the sake of the world. Except for Bucky, who had no choice but to be there. Karina felt hopeless as she rounded another corner and saw no sign of Bucky. She began to lose hope as every corner, turn, and corridor appeared to be the same.

Until she rounded the last corner and saw the back of Bucky's head. Karina stood silently behind him, holding her breath so he wouldn't notice her. Steve stood on the bridge, staring at his friend, whom he no longer recognised, as he stared at him emotionlessly. The light shining through the large panes of glass behind him illuminated the tears that welled up in his eyes, emphasising the guilt that weighed heavily on his shoulders.

"People are gonna die, Buck. I can't let that happen." Bucky continued to stare at Steve coldly, despite Steve's regret. Steve sighed heavily as he looked over Bucky's shoulder at Karina, then back at him before he would realised. Steve motioned to the pocket containing the chip, and Karina nodded before shifting her stance, ready to fight.

"Please don't make me do this," Steve pleaded silently, hoping Bucky would relent, but he didn't. He hurled his shield at Bucky, who swatted it away with his metal arm. The shield returned to Steve's grasp, and he repeatedly struck Bucky with it. The sound of bullets ricocheting off of the shield prompted Karina to take charge.

She dashed forward until she was standing on the bridge with them, then slid beneath Bucky's legs and grabbed the chip from Steve's pocket. Bucky looked at her, perplexed, giving Steve the opportunity to knock his friend off his feet and onto his back. Karina gave Bucky a brief apologetic look before approaching the targeting blade system and activating it.

Bucky realised at that moment that she wasn't there to help him, but rather Steve. A small part of him, the old Bucky, was proud that she was doing the right thing. But Pierce's orders raged in his mind, controlling him even when he wasn't present.

The force that struck Karina's side was unexpected. The Winter Soldier's body collided with hers, allowing both of them to fall off the bridge and onto the floor below, causing the chip to fall from her grasp. Karina's back ached as she gasped and turned her head to the side. The landing had knocked the wind out of her.

However, the Winter Soldier grabbed her neck and squeezed it, stopping oxygen from entering her lungs. As he looked down at her, his eyes were filled with tears; he couldn't stop his hand, he had no control. Karina clawed at his wrist as she looked up at him, her eyes clouded with confusion and hurt.

Steve landed behind the Winter Soldier, threw him off Karina, then grabbed the chip and slid onto the ground below. The Winter Soldier was about to follow, but Karina grabbed his wrist and pulled him back, preventing him from falling to the floor below. As she dragged him back onto the platform, she felt the serum course through her veins. The daggers in his eyes nearly drove her away, but she needed answers, and she needed to do the right thing for once.

They faced each other, waiting to see who would move first. Bucky and Karina both unsheathed their knives.

"We don't have to fight," Karina said solemnly, dropping her knife in the hopes of prompting Bucky to do the same. Instead, he charged at her, knocking her off her feet and causing her back to hit the floor. She headbutted him in the nose, knocking him off balance, but he quickly regained it.