"Bright Burn"

The next day at U.A was pretty unremarkable for Izuku and Setsuna.

For Katsuki, however, it was one of the craziest days of his life.

"HA HA HA HA HA!"

'No fuckin' way is All Might about to come through that door and teach us.'

"I HAVE COME THROUGH THE DOOR LIKE A NORMAL PERSON!"

'No fuckin' way!... This is the best day of my life! Hey Izuku, beat this, you damn Hothead!' The ash-blonde boy thought eagerly, sitting ramrod straight in his seat for the first time that day and starting to lean forward in anticipation.

'But I doubt All Might's here to teach us some normal shitty subject. The only reason he'd be here was if we were gonna be-'

The number one Hero's signature grin somehow grew wider, although it was nowhere near the level of Katsuki's as the boy read what was written on the card he was holding up. "TODAY OUR ACTIVITY WILL BE... BATTLE TRAINING!"

'Oh, fuck yeah.'

____________

Converging outside in their Hero costumes, Katsuki had to admit that some of the outfits his classmates had picked out were actually not bad.

There were some that were just stupid, like High Class' -what was she gonna do if someone attacked her, like, anywhere? She could fucking trip and end up injured in that- and Purple Freak's -is that a fucking diaper?- but others, like Shitty Hair or the Frog, had costumes that seemed about right for functionality and what he'd seen of their quirks.

Obviously, none of them came even close to comparing with his, though.

"I WILL SPLIT YOU INTO RANDOM TEAMS OF TWO," All Might was saying, "AND THEN YOU WILL GO UP AGAINST EACH OTHER IN MOCK BATTLES OF HEROES AND VILLAINS!"

Frog looked at him quizzically. "So no basic training?"

Bakugo could have laughed. 'FUCK basic training!'

All Might said pretty much the same thing, but in a nicer way. "PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE WILL TEACH YOU THE BASICS, HAHAHAHA!"

After a whole load more talking, they finally got down to business.

_____________

Katsuki was in a huff.

It had been too easy!

Like, sure, he'd been able to show off in front of All Might.

And his teammate for the exercise, Ears, hadn't been half bad. She was actually pretty skilled.

But he'd come to U.A for a challenge, to get better!

He hadn't even needed to use an above average explosion, for fuck's sake!

They'd been on the Villain team, protecting their bomb against the team which had Four-Eyes and Dunce Face. And it had been way too easy.

Ears had been easily able to tell when they were coming, and wanted to go with the plan of moving the bomb to a new location whenever they got close. Katsuki wasn't having that, however. He'd stood strong in that room and refused to budge until his opponents got there.

Dunce Face had burst in and went to release his strongest discharge everywhere. Which would have been a good move, had Katsuki not been literally releasing an explosion in his gut as he entered.