4: Red Versus Blue

The residue tone from the previous tension lingered in the air, and the classroom could barely sit still with this newly created excitement. No doubt, the common rabble's first impressions of the IS Academy skyrocketed from this alone. Juno was pleased to see that it certainly lived up to its interesting reputation.

A duel.

Of all the things, that was probably one of the craziest scenarios for a first day and yet, here they were. Here he was.

Juno sat on his desk, eyes gleaming at him with wonder and surprise, and a dumb happy smile showing not a hint of negativity imprinted across his face. Even when the intimidating Ms. Orimura stepped up to his desk, there wasn't a single falter in this demeanor.

That was the part Cecilia couldn't understand.

"Reeves, I'm afraid transportation for your personal IS is at a bit of a delay. I'm afraid you won't receive yours until the day of the showdown." Ms. Orimura broke to him. "That won't be a problem, correct?"

"Nope. It's fine, I can train without it." Juno smiled nonchalantly, while the onlookers conjured up another storm of gossip.

Ichika glanced over, eyes narrowed in question. When the talk died down, he took an opportunity and raised his slightly-tanned hand into the air.

"Excuse me, Chif– uh, Ms. Orimura... What exactly is a personal IS?" He asked. Although, the name was rather self-explanatory, trying to go more in-depth wasn't hurting anyone.

"Hmph." Cecilia, who had been ever so quiet finally stood up again, placing a hand her chest. "Simple. In a world with only 467 available IS units; we, the elite, are given personal machines to symbolize our eliteness!

"She really likes to use that word a lot, eh?" Juno chuckled to himself internally. He guessed he couldn't talk, since there were plenty of habits that stuck through that head of his as well. Everyone had their niche.

Cecilia's eyes slowly craned toward Juno, "As a Pilot of one myself, it brings me relief that you indeed, possess your own. Even with your supposed lack of experience, to be in the standing of an elite will at least lower the humiliation when I defeat you!" She put her hands on her hips, puffing up her chest with pride.

"Wait, only 467?" Ichika perked up, still wanting to know more.

"The central component for IS core has never been released. Therefore, only 467 have been registered in the entire, all personally produced by Dr. Tabane Shinonono herself!" Ms. Yamada explained.

"Hmm..."

There it was again. Juno squinted at those words, something having refreshed in his mind upon hearing that name. He scanned the room, then landed on the sulky depression of a certain girl a few rows behind him.

"Heh. Of course..."

Houki didn't speak, keeping her head low and out of attention. Ichika was the only one who appeared to have caught on, while the rest of the class was well invested in the IS history lesson being given upfront.

Juno returned his attention to the front as well, not thinking further about it. It was fine.

He understood her bitterness, he understood her almost too well.

--

Juno didn't say much as he wandered the courtyard, letting himself be soothed by the flowing stream water. His hands were dug in his pockets, bag over his shoulder and he wore an intuitive expression across his already neutral face.

Everyone that just happened was fresh in his mind, and he found himself replaying it again and again. Especially Cecilia's word. Of course, he wasn't planning to go back to the room until the lights were out, or if he desperately needed something given all the adversity, so instead, he decided that he would occupy himself with another tranquil walk.