𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗼𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗽𝗿𝗶𝘇𝗲

-

-

[name] had always been second to Ji yeong throughout her entire life.

She suffers every single day as she watches them smile happily together.

It was painful, but you don't see [name] complaining.

She just graciously accepted that she wasn't enough.

And that she would just stick to being the second, even if it shatters her heart to pieces.

Although things started to change as soon as Ji yeong and Sae-byeok broke up,

Sae-byeok started to finally acknowledge [name]'s existance.

It's funny reallly.

Funny how it was so obvious that she was just the second option.

It was a rainy day when it happened...

"I can't believe I didn't realize this before," She said, giddy and smiling. Not for the first time, that smile brought a painful quake to [name]'s heart. "You were there all along, and I didn't see it."

"I can't believe it either," [name] answered. 

"Isn't the world amazing that way? She reached for [name]'s hand, but she backed away.

"No it's not," [name] could hear her own voice shaking. 

"What's wrong?" 

"You 'didn't see it'? You didn't see me chasing you? You didn't see me listening to you every time you talked about her? Every time you needed help, or hell when you lost your stupid keys? You never saw me?" [name]'s voice kept rising and she couldn't do anything to stop it. 

"Of course I saw you," she tried to reassure, "I mean I didn't realize what it all meant." 

"I don't believe that. You're not that stupid, but you might be that selfish," I had always expected this moment to be joyous. I had imagined it again and again, but something always felt wrong. Now at last I knew what it was. "You knew I was there all along. But you didn't care until now. When you lost someone better." 

"That's not true!" Sae-byeok tried to deny it desperately, moving closer to [name].

"Yes it is. Whether you knew it or not. But I'm not a consolation prize." [name] shook her head, batting away her tears before walking away.

Leaving a bemused Sae-byeok to ruminate on a mistake she didn't even realize she'd made.

-

——— NOTE: this is rushed since i'm really busy because of schoolwork. i'll promise to update on my christmas break! <33