Savior

Maddie's POV

I sit and watch as a compelled human stands like a statue letting the blood from her wrist pour into a glass. "I hope he at least pays you." I tell the girl who just smiles.

"Handsomely," I hear Klaus say as he walks in, "and with a generous Christmas bonus. Isn't that right?" He looks at the girl who doesn't speak and just nods making me scoff a little.

Klaus takes the glass as she walks off, "and I see you just compel her to nod and agree with whatever you say."

"I compel her to feed me." He says rather quickly, "and to hang the occasional Christmas ornament. She can say whatever the hell she wants."

I let out a laugh and shake my head. "You seem better." Klaus says tilting his head.

"Yeah, I am. Thank you for everything," I look back up to him. "And for giving me space to not talk about it." Klaus gives me the side eye look with a small smirk. "Why didn't you go with Elijah to help Rebekah? I pray it's not to stay here and babysit me."

"It's not a good idea for he and I to spend hours together in confined spaces, given that the prophecy foretells one family member felling another." Klaus says making me lean forward.

"You don't think he would hurt you..." my eyebrows furrow. I know they might be on the outs but they would never hurt each other.

"I don't know what to think." He says quietly. We stare at each other for a minute before he breaks eye contact and leans forward setting his glass down. "And that damn fortune tellers predictions continue to unfold despite all our efforts."

My phone starts to buzz making me reach in my pocket and Klaus look over to me. "It's Vincent. I have to go."

I was standing in the street watching some people play jazz before a hand reached out to touch my arm making me gasp and grab my chest. "You're jumpy."

"Maybe that's because I've been jumped several times in the last 2 days." I tell Vincent as we start walking.

"Yeah."

"I haven't really been out since everything. What's up?" I ask looking at him.

"I need for you to make a house call. Kinney got fired last week." Vincent says making me stop and look at him.

"What?" My mouth parts open surprised at what he said. "No, but he-he's a good cop. A bit creepy? Sure but a good one at least."

"Yeah, he was a good cop until he started having blackouts, going MIA when he's supposed to be on duty. There's gaping holes in his reports. Arrests he can't explain. Missing evidence he can't explain, and now he's isolating, he's not coming out of the house, he's not taking my phone calls."

I speak up before he continues, "I'll go see him. There has to be something I can do or say."

"Thank you, Maddie."

I walk up to Kinney's house and knock a few times. "Will? You in there? It's Maddie!"