The Girl Who Can't See Handsome Boy

Lancelot is a boy having a well-defined sculptured face. A physically fit body, eyes as blue as sapphires, which contrasted with his glossy blonde hair, one would think he's a model. Blessed to be born rich and handsome. Enrolled in a thriving prestigious school, he's like an idol; flocked by girls while bringing envy on boys. He was popular, almost because of one girl. Catherine appeared as if an angel had descended from heaven. Long, straight, auburn hair, her eyes, green like precious emeralds; snow-white skin glowed by sunlight. Despite having a deadpan expression, nothing affects her beauty much. Loved by the entire school, making her slightly more popular. Lancelot assumed asking her out, no different from others. He approached her at the table the morning before class, asking if she liked to go on a date, however.

"No."

Rejected before completing his sentence, something never experienced before. Flustered, he regains composure, trying to persuade her, "Why? Would you like a gift? Going to an amusement park or shopping, aren't I cool? He put a thumbs up. Handsome?"

Catherine tilted her head, flummoxed. She responded, "No, thank you."

Jaws agape, considering going to have a heart attack. The next words then made him petrified. "You seemed normal to me."

No one viewed him that way, ever since Lancelot did this again. Befriending the unusual girl, to make her say, You're handsome, and I like you. During the science lab, he's surprised his partner is her; sadly, the memory remains fresh, yet gleefully greeted his partner, "Hi."

"Hello", she replied dryly. Then, unexpectedly continued the sentence.

"Lancelot, at your service, my fair lady,", puzzled and stared at him. Glad to catch her attention, added, "The man who would like to be your boyfriend." Though abruptly, his charms worked on her, probably. It failed. She's disinterested in him, thoroughly focused on the science lesson, disappointing him, shifting to help her.

In recess, eating his peanut butter sandwich, when sighted, she was sitting next to each other. Noted that she's eating cookies in a small plastic bag, leaned closer. When Catherine sees him, glancing at the sandwich, asks, "Do you want a cookie?" hold on one, giving him.

"Thanks?", staggered by her generosity. Nervously taking the cookie, he questioned, "Can I have lunch with you?"

"Okay, we'll share."

Hopefully, this may have worked. He internally celebrated his progress. "Make sure you've brought the plate, spoon, and forked from the cafeteria." May be too soon to celebrate, not what he expected. At least he redeems himself. Bell ranged, "Alright, bye" as she walked up the stairs, while Lancelot watched her disappear. Sighing got up and went up the stairs as well.

Next period this time; PE, today's lesson is badminton. His playmate, still Catherine, albeit barely, keeps on playing with her. Though played some sports himself, she's proving a challenge, as they continued. Quite good at playing badminton. Her swift actions overwhelm him until he misses the shuttlecock.

"Fun?" she asked, curious.

"Yeah, you're a handful, babe."

"Don't call me that; just Catherine," she's unimpressed.

He pouted, "Seriously?"

The bell rang. PE ended peacefully. Lunch break came, Lancelot waited as he intended. Sat where they'd previously left, didn't take long, for Catherine appeared. Sitting beside him, she brought out her lunchbox inside rice with marinated chicken on top. Seeing this, he drooled.

"Shall we eat?", he's hardly excited any further.

"Yeah."

"I'll give you half of my lunch. Is that okay?"

"Certainly."

In his hands were the plastic plates and utensils he had gotten from the cafeteria, as pledged. Receiving half of her share, he happily took a bite; delicious, and simple. Eaten leisurely, while observing her. She eats elegantly as taking her remaining half. Before they knew it, food was empty with a satisfied stomach. "Good meal", he remarked.

"Pretty much", Catherine thanked. Contemplating, she said, "See you in the library." He jolted, almost unbelievably, hearing from her. Smiling, he answered back, "Okay", then dashes off to the stairs, ending lunch break.

Group study, time at the library. Catherine found a vacant place near a window, taking a sit. Patiently, Lancelot found her, took the opposite seat. The subject of each bring-out textbook. Mathematics. He's not fond of math, having difficulty understanding today's lesson, thus studying together during group study. She's fine with formulas and problem solving, however, unable to get geometry questions correctly, helping her with that. "How come you're not happy with geometry? I can solve cause; I'll be an architect."

"Web developer."

"Aren't computers boring?"

"Nope."

Arguing until he started laughing faintly in amusement. They truly enjoyed themselves until the period ended, knowing their lessons. After class, cleaning time came, and they assigned both to their classroom. Coordinately working, Lancelot mopping while Catherine wiping the desks. Neither spoke aloud, embracing each other. Their relationship had deepened. After completing the task, Lancelot picks up his schoolbag, wears outdoor shoes, heading towards the school gate. Passing through, he caught Catherine in front. Immediately closing in, he chatted. "How's today?"

"It's nice", she said bashfully.

The reaction, in his view, was cute, giving away a giggle. Now she's started blushing, taking the chance to proceed seriously. He asked this question, "Say, do you want to be my girlfriend?" Stopped her tracks, she turned around in response, looked at him, "Maybe", she replied.

He paused, feeling fidgety.

"But I'll try, Lancelot."

The first time, having heard his name through her lips, echoed with a gentle voice, felt blissful. In return, saying, "Thank you, Catherine."

Face red, she turned away. He, too, did the same. Persisting to walk, reaching the exit before stepping out, Catherine spoke out, "Lancelot?"

"Yes, Catherine?"

"You're handsome."

Amazed, absent-minded. She signaled to him to come; he moved. Until near to her face, staring, he froze. Something pressing against his forehead. She'd kissed him. "And I like you."

Returning to his senses, he moved towards her, proceeding to walk together. Exiting from school, as dusk loomed, a romantic sight.