Chapter Thirty

"There we are!" the Doctor cheers, flipping one final lever. Sophie slides out of the jump seat, half sitting, half laying on the TARDIS' floor. The Doctor walks around the console, flopping down so he can sit cross legged beside her. "Hey, what's wrong, kiddo?"

"I don't know, Doc. Life I guess."

"Hang on, life's a problem? That doesn't sound good. Share with your oldest mate. What's got you down?"

She moves her head to his shoulder. He wraps his arm around her shoulder, squeezing it lightly. "Uni starts tomorrow."

"Ah, so just some first day jitters then. This is from the girl who can face down Daleks, Cybermen, and Sontarans without breaking a sweat."

"Daleks, Cybermen, and Sontarans don't laugh at you if you make a mistake. Humans, especially college aged humans, can be cruel."

"I know, Soph. But, c'mon, buck up. You can do this. Look tomorrow straight in the eyes, and tell it to move over, you're coming through."

She smiles, "That makes no sense, you idiot."

"I got that smile from you, didn't I?"

She sits up, sliding from the Time Lords grip, "Thanks, Doc. Time for a new day, I guess."

"You'll seize it. You always do. Go on out there, and be awesome."

"I'm always awesome. Right? Can I get a wahoo?"

He rolls his eyes, jumping to his feet. Grabbing her arms and tugging her up, "Wahoo," he deadpans.

Once on her feet, he pulls her to his chest. Rubbing her arms in a comforting way, he kisses her hair. "Thanks Doc. You're the best honorary big brother a girl could ask for."

He moves his head back, feigning offense, "Honorary? Not a chance. I'm your big brother, you don't have a choice."

"Couldn't ask for anyone better. Love you, Theta Sigma."

"And I love you, Sophia Jaclyn McCoy. Now, you can't stay in my arms forever. Go out there, and be brilliant."

"Promise you'll visit?"

He starts to push her toward the TARDIS doors, trying to stop her stalling. Picking up her backpack, he asks, "That depends, you gonna tell me which Uni you're going to?"

"St. Luke's University. So you will visit, yes?"

"Of course, Soph! I can't leave my little sister alone, now can I. Go on, stop stalling."

She quickly kisses his cheek, grabbing the bag from his hand. He pulls open the TARDIS doors, ushering her out. As soon as she exits the ship, he closes the doors behind her.

"Great. That leaves me to conquer the next stage of life alone. Once more unto the breach, I guess," she mutters to herself, as the box disappears.

As soon as the TARDIS vanishes, the front door of the flat opens, Morgan walking through. "Oh, hey, Soph. You excited 'bout tomorrow?"

She shrugs, making her way to her room. Morgan grabs her wrist before she can disappear. "Hey now. You're the toughest person I know. You can do this. You're absolutely brilliant."

Sophie smiles, "Thanks Mo."

*Next Day*

Sophie stands in the shadows of the looming buildings of St Luke's University. Taking a deep breath, she starts forward into the gaping building in front of her. Climbing the steps she enters the main building of the campus, being met with a large crowd of first year students all gathered in a crowd.

She begins to make her way through the crowd, nodding cordially at the students she passes. She had already studied her schedule at home, and had memorized a map of campus. Sophie knows she's supposed to have a meeting with her advisor, but the maps had a suspicious lack of office numbers.

Once she passes through the large gathering of students, she spies a sign on the wall with an arrow and office numbers. Following the helpful sign, it doesn't take long to find the office. Knocking on the door, the professor sticks her out a moment later. "Oh, hello. You must be Sophie. Welcome to St. Lukes."

The woman has very curly, brown hair, which she put up in a messy bun on the top of her head. She has a pair of loose fitting jeans, and a paint splattered sweater around her small frame. A pair of cat-eyed glasses are perched on her petite nose. Sophie awkwardly takes the proffered hand, "Nice to meet you, Dr. Massey."

"Well, come in, come in," the professor gestures, her harried manner reminding Sophie of her best friend. "You mentioned in your email having some questions about you schedule."

Sophie nods, surveying the office around her. There are bookshelves lining every wall, books, and papers spread out across the coffee table in the center of the room. A desk is tucked in the corner, some photos placed nicely beside the large computer. The rolly chair is in the center of the room, facing the plush fluffy chairs that are just under the window. The professor offers the chair to her, and she slowly sits down, setting her backpack in her lap. "Yes, ma'am. My schedule said I need to take physics of space. I understand that this is an important course, but it seems a bit much for a first semester, no?"

Her professor takes a seat in the rolly chair, rolling toward her advisee. "No, not in the slightest. This is one of the easiest science classes on campus. Not to mention the professor is an amazing teacher. You'll do well."

Sophie looks at her, "Okay, if you're sure, ma'am."

"Oh, I am. Any other questions?"

"No, thank you."

*First Day of Classes*

After a stress filled orientation, the first day of classes finally came along. Her first class is at nine in the morning. Walking into the giant lecture hall, she grabs a seat off to the side, near the center of the room. The whole hall fills up rather quickly, no one wanting to be late on the first day of class. The only issue is, the professor doesn't arrive on time.

At around nine-fifteen he wanders into the room, wearing checked trousers, a t-shirt with a hoodie and frock coat thrown haphazardly over it. His grey hair looks brighter in the fluorescent lighting of the room. He walks straight up to the desk, flopping into the chair, planting his feet in the center of the desk.

"Hello class," he grins.

Sophie drops her head down, it landing on the table with a bang. The students sitting around her all jump, glancing her way. The student beside her leans toward her, "Are you okay?" he questions.

Lifting her head off the table, she whispers, "Yes. I just didn't realize this was our prof. He doesn't exactly seem...professional."

"Dr. Smith? He's great. Everyone says he's the best professor you can get. You should go to his office if you ever get the chance. It's amazing. Apparently all of his quizzes are super easy. You're gonna love this class."

"Sure I am," she grumbles.

The Doctor jumps from his seat, "You will find, on the table in front of you, a little sheet of paper. That's my getting to know you questionnaire. I'll give you all fifteen minutes to fill it out. I expect to have them all done by the end of my class." His eyes scan the room, taking in each and every student. "Memorize the seats you are in today, as these will be the seats you will sit in throughout the semester." He flops back into the desk chair, the classroom once again filling with silence.

The only sound is the scratching of pens on paper, as Sophie slides the page toward her. Glancing over it, she quickly begins filling out all the easy info, such as name, birthday, parents. When she gets to the section on her best friend, she quickly writes, 'My best friend is a pillock named the Doctor.' The room stays the same for the next ten minutes, until the Time Lord at the front of the room jumps to his feet again, "Right. Welcome to class. I'll be your instructor, Doctor Smith, but you can call me the Doctor."

Under her breath, Sophie mutters, "I'd rather call you an idiot."