Nessa's Story

Twenty-eight years later...

Ashley's face twisted in disgust. She could smell a gut-wrenching stench coming from Gunther's house as she stood in front of the broken screen door. There is no way I'm going in there.

Ashley turned to leave, and the front door swung open.

"Hello. You must be Gunther's study-date, Ashley."

The words hit the twenty-one-year-old college student between her shoulder blades. Shit. Ashley put on her best smile and whirled around. "That's me. Hi."
A woman wearing a dull, stained housecoat stood in front of her. She sounded like she had gravel stuck in her throat as her murky green eyes widened with excitement. "Gunther told me you were stopping by. Dark hair with green eyes like his mama? He sure knows how to pick' em." Her thin lips parted into a smile and her rotting teeth became visible.

When was the last time you brushed your teeth, lady? Ashley cringed internally and adjusted the designer sunglasses on top of her head. "You're sweet, thank you."

"Although you're much darker than I ever was. In my day men could appreciate a fair-skinned beauty." Gunther's mother opened the screen door and gave a quick glance around the neighborhood. "Don't just stand there. Hurry, come inside."

As Ashley stepped into the house, the smell grew stronger and it made her stomach churn. She placed her hand under her nose, trying to mask the scent with vanilla hand lotion. What is that smell? A dead animal?

The woman with stringy gray and brown hair introduced herself as Barbara.

She led Ashley through a dark living room and into the kitchen. "Sorry about the heat. The air conditioner's busted."

"No problem." There are still a few days before my assignment is due. Maybe I could meet up with Gunther later at a clean venue. I just need to think of a way to excuse myself without being rude.

"Gunther's such a smart boy. It was a great idea to ask him to help with your assignment. He doesn't get many visitors, you know. He's so excited you're here."

Ashley scanned the dirty dishes stacked high, and old food decorated the kitchen counters. "Oh really? That's a shame. When I told him I was failing Mr. Finch's class, he offered to help me with the assignment. I don't want to flunk out of my dream school. It's nice of him. I can't disappoint my parents, not after all the sacrifices they made to send me here."

Barbara grabbed the back of a kitchen chair, and the high-pitched sound of it scraping against the tile floor made Ashley cringe.

"Sit."

Ashley sat on the green vinyl, but quickly stood, and ran a hand over the back of her shorts. What did I just sit in? She looked at a purple blob on her fingertips. Oh, great. I knew I should have worn my black shorts instead of my new white ones.

"Oh, it's just a little jelly. Why don't you sit over here instead?" Barbara pulled out another chair.

Ashley held her backpack close to her chest, unwilling to set it down on any surface other than her own body. Who knew what diseases were festering in the house. "Thank you."

The college girl flinched as Barbara shouted. "Gunther! Your girlfriend's here! Hurry down!"

Barbara lit up a cigarette. Normally, the smell of smoke would churn Ashley's stomach, but it was a welcome change from the odor of the house.

Gunther's mother waved her hand. "He's just finishing up some laundry. He'll be here shortly."

Laundry? I thought this family had no idea what housework was.