《 christmas morning 》

• HUMAN AU •

"Foster?"

Sophie peeked over her shoulder, biting back a smile. Keefe's sleepy voice might have been her biggest weakness — although there were plenty of alternatives. He hadn't yet emerged into the kitchen, but she could tell he was still pouting about not getting a kiss that morning.

"Yes?" Sophie said, keeping her back turned. Currently, she was standing at the kitchen island, finishing the lattice topping of her apple pie. It was Keefe's favorite, and she figured Christmas morning was the perfect time to pamper her husband.

Sophie heard soft footsteps behind her, then strong arms around her waist, and finally soft lips on her cheek. "There you are," he said, his voice drowsy and near to her ear.

She smiled. "Good morning."

"It is good, isn't it? You're making me breakfast and it's Christmas."

Laughing, Sophie pushed him away. "Why are you out here? This was supposed to be a surprise."

"Whoops." Keefe smirked, twisting her in his arms for a kiss. Sophie struggled, not because she didn't enjoy it, but because her hands and arms were covered in pie crust.

"Keefe," she fussed. "I'm going to get flour all over you."

"I don't mind." He kissed her again.

Sophie laughed, pushing him away. "Let me clean up. Then you can kiss me."

"Fine," he mumbled, finding another reason to pout. "Then we can open presents, right?"

Turning, she smiled at her husband. Sometimes he reminded her of a little boy, especially on holidays like these.

He was so adorable.

"Please?" he begged.

"Alright. But you have to help me clean up."

Keefe happily obliged, leaving a kiss on the top of her head as he passed her. Usually it was a chore to even convince him to do housework, but today he wiped down the counters and easily put her pie in the oven. As Sophie washed her hands, Keefe asked, "Where's your wedding ring?"

He sounded so worried that Sophie smiled in amusement. Rather than losing it, she'd simply taken it off to keep clean while she was baking. "On the coffee table. Will you get it for me?"

Keefe nodded. As he disappeared momentarily into the living room, Sophie sighed. Due to a remodel, their kitchen was large, and the family spaces branched off on either side of the entrances. Sophie loved the layout, and Keefe had yet to complain about it. She supposed he'd love any household, so long as he got to live with her.

He was cute like that.

When he returned, he lifted her left hand and slipped the pretty diamond onto her finger. Besides Keefe, the wedding ring was her favorite possession. He preceded to place a kiss on her knuckles just below the band.

Sophie blushed, but Keefe was already pulling her into the living room, towards the Christmas tree and an array of lights. His eagerness made her giggle.

When the reached the tree and various pieces of furniture, Keefe sat on the loveseat and pulled her beside him.

A year ago, just after Sophie and Keefe had gotten married, they'd had a wrap-around sofa. It hadn't taken long to realize they didn't need all that space. Now they'd downgraded to a white loveseat, just the right size for cuddling on winter afternoons.

"Just so you know," Keefe said, handing her a brown paper package, "I killed it with your present this year. I'm expecting lots of kisses in reward."

Sophie shook her head, peeling of the ribbon. "You're ridiculous."

The package was large enough to be a book, and that instinct turned out to be true. As she shedded the paper she found something that resembled a sketchbook. It was filled with life-like drawings of their wedding.

"Keefe . . ."

"Lots of kisses," he reminded her.

Sophie scanned the pages, taking in each one. He'd depicted the moment they'd read their vows, their first dance, even shoving cake in each other's faces.

"Sweetheart," Sophie whispered, glancing up at her husband. While she was ready to cry, his face was lit up in a smug smirk.

"What?"

Sophie threw herself into his arms, and, true to his request, covered his face in kisses. "How long did this take you?"

"Not saying."

Sophie sniffled. "You're incredible."

At that, Keefe blushed and cleared his throat. "I just thought, you know, you might want another reason to swoon over me."

"I already have plenty," Sophie promised.

He grinned. "Is it my turn now?"

Sophie gave her gift another appreciative glance. Then she bent down to the Christmas tree and handed him two packages. Both were smaller than his combined, but she hoped the thought would compensate. She felt a little sheepish. "Mine is nothing compared to yours."

Keefe laughed. "Foster, you could give me nothing and I'd still be the happiest man in the world."

She sighed. Sometimes his charm drove her crazy — probably because it made her eyes little hearts and her lips ache to kiss him.

Keefe smiled, and immediately dove into the wrapping paper.

The first package was a college of photos. Pictures from dates, high school dances, the beach, Keefe's first time seeing Sophie in her wedding dress. All together, the photos were attached to a piece of wood, lined with faerie lights.

Sophie noticed Keefe's eyes get wet. "Come here," he said, opening up his arms for his wife.

Sophie sat in his lap and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful," he said. "Did you make it?"

She nodded, a little bashful. Keefe kissed her, and before getting more embarrassed she handed him his second gift.

"Now I feel bad," Keefe said as sophie situated herself beside him on the loveseat. "I didn't get you two gifts."

She smiled. "That's okay. Mine are both homemade."

Keefe opened the paper to find a small rectangular box. Lifting the lid, he found a collection of letters, all addressed to him.

"They're for while you're at school," Sophie said, reminiscent of the long hours she spent waiting for Keefe to come home. He was in college, though he still unsure of what he wanted to do in the future. "I hope they'll make you happy."

"You're adorable, Foster. Have I ever told you that?"

"Yes." She giggled.

He wrapped his arms around her. "Tell me," he said, "what's in the letters?"

"A lot of swooning," Sophie admitted. "Just don't get a big head about it."

He grinned. "Just what I've always wanted — proof that you find me irresistible."

Sophie shoved him, standing. "I need to go take the pie out."

Keefe stood too, her college of photos in his hands.

"What are you doing?"

He looked up, surprise on his face. "I'm going to hang this in our room. Is that okay?"

Sophie leaned in for a kiss. She supposed the only thing that would make it better was some mistletoe. "Absolutely."