《 protective 》

• HUMAN AU •

Sophie inhaled delectable air, reveling in the cool breeze that was never present outside. June had arrived fast this year, and it hadn't been long before heat accompanied it. But here, in Sophie's favorite restaurant, the air conditioning might've been her biggest blessing.

That was, besides her boyfriend. While Sophie guarded their table from the crowds, Keefe stood in line a few feet ahead of her, paying for her meal like the gentleman he was. Sophie smiled as the he approached the cash register, slapping a wad of cash between his palms. The employee working behind the counter — a teenage girl — seemed to lose her breath at the sight of him.

Giggling softly, Sophie leaned against her chair. The tiled floor was slippery from a recent mopping, which kept her attention busy, but she didn't fail to notice the way the girl looked at Keefe.

It wasn't a surprise — every girl looked at him like that. As a matter of fact, Sophie might've been the only person in the world who loved him for something other than his looks. It made her heart swell with pain.

As Keefe read off their order to the employee, Sophie felt eyes on her. Nervous, she turned her gaze to the left, toward front door and the crowd pooling inside. Sophie knew at least half of them were there for nothing other than a break from the heat. LA's weather was intense — especially in mid-June.

As Sophie scanned them, her eyes landed on a middle-aged man. He was of average stature and appearance, but it was the eyes pinned on her that set her on edge. California was home to a diverse collection of people — and unfortunately, a high percentage of that were creepers. Strangers Sophie had no desire to interact with — or learn their intentions on her behalf.

As the man's feet began walking toward her, Sophie's knees wobbled. She really, really hated being alone in public.

Her hands trembled, her heart lodging in her throat . . .

"Foster?" As warm arms — familiar arms — hugged her from behind, a relieved sigh escaped Sophie's throat. Keefe's soft blond hair brushed her ear as he pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Are you alright?"

Sophie turned into his chest. "He's watching me."

"Who?"

"That guy. By the entrance."

Keefe lifted his head, eyes searching until they cleared — and then clouded. "Uh, not cool," he said, sending a glare toward the guy Sophie refused to face. "Maybe I should take you somewhere else."

"No," she sighed. "It's fine — as long as he goes away."

"Want me to beat him up?"

Despite herself, Sophie laughed. "He's got twenty years on you, at least."

"Yeah." Keefe grinned. "But my muscles are bigger."

Sophie shoved him lightly in the chest. He wasn't wrong, but she definitely wasn't agreeing with his statement. Just to make her feel safer, Keefe wedged Sophie between him and the window of their booth.

And it did help.

Keefe made her feel safer than anyone did. Maybe it was because he was strong and athletic — but she suspected it was just because he loved her unconditionally.

At one point, when their meals finally arrived, Sophie glanced up, fearing the man was still there. He wasn't.

Relief crashing in her chest, Sophie rested her head on Keefe's shoulder. She knew couples usually sat across from each other while on a date, but she rather liked being right beside him, with his arm around her. "You scared him away," she whispered, kissing his cheek.