《 chapter 42 - keefe's pov 》

A/N: Stellarlune spoilers ahead!

Everything that happens in this scene belongs to Shannon Messenger, I've just altered it to show Keefe's point of view, rather than Sophie's. I hope you enjoy it! :)

...

The first thing Keefe noticed when Silveny's hooves touched the ground was Sophie Elizabeth Foster.

With her knees folded into her chest, she lay asleep against Calla's panakes tree. Her eyes were closed, but he suspected they would compliment her red tunic well.

The color always looked good on her—but then again, so did everything.

His suspicion was confirmed when Sophie stumbled to her feet at the sudden noise, her eyes flying open. It might have been the haze from riding Silveny, but he could've sworn she was wearing makeup.

Her startled expression, however, was what most concerned him. As he hopped off the mama Alicorn and made his way over, he asked her, "Is everything okay?"

Sophie nodded. "Yeah, I was just . . . waiting for you—and I was starting to think you weren't coming back."

Hating the fear in her voice, Keefe fidgeted with his cape. "Sorry. I wanted to see what would happen if I had Silveny fly me around in the void while I talked in my mom's voice. I thought maybe if I managed to say at least a couple of the right words while I was in there, whatever she hid would come crashing toward me."

"Did it work?"

"Not particularly. And in case you were wondering, the void never gets any more exciting. It's just darkness and more darkness—and oh, hey, even more darkness! I'm sure Tammy Boy would love it, but man, I'm glad to see color again." Unable to help himself, his eyes shifted to the vibrant red of her tunic, then quickly away when Sophie noticed.

She blushed. "You could've taken me with you, you know. Or at least left me another note telling me where you went."

They both froze.

This was the first time she'd addressed his letter, and the mere thought of it had Keefe's heart racing.

Trying to keep his composure, he dragged a hand through his wind-blown hair and chewed his lower lip.

Keefe could hardly meet her eyes, so his gaze strayed to her lips when she said, "Do you want to go for a walk?"

He forced his gaze elsewhere as he agreed. The last thing he needed was Sophie noticing him staring at her lips.

"Are we heading anywhere in particular?" he asked to distract himself as she led him into the pastures.

"Not really. I just need to move. I've been stuck in one place for way too long."

"I know the feeling. And if you don't have a specific spot in mind, then follow me—I found the coolest place the other night after training with Grady."

He led her into the grove and pointed out which of the strange, bulbous trees he'd tried sleeping in. When he told her about his favorite—one with tiny glowworms that covered the walls with flecks of bright blue light—Sophie turned a light shade of green.