chapter eighteen

We walk back to camp in an eerie silence, the only sound the crunching leaths under our feet. We step onto the plain to find a small camp fire burning in the mouth of the cornucopia. Around it, Marvel,zafira and glimmer and peeta are sat.chatting animatedly, probably recounting eden's rather gruesome end, including the fact that we had to go back and finish her off.

The whole 'peeta is useless' issue seems to have blown over on the way back. Either that, or the others are just trying to cover it up in front of him. Knowing my allies, it's the second one. Although really, I don't really know them at all.

"Finally!" Shouts Marvel, standing up as he we approach him and the others "about time! We've been waiting for you! Though you ditched us all!""

"Oh yeah,sure we're gonna just  leave you guys with the supplies and wonder of on our own!" I shout sarcastically. Marvel shouts me a sheepish grin,then beckons cato and I over to the poorly constructed campfire.i sit down between Marvel and peeta, making sure I'm no where near the two idiots that occupy the other places around the flames.

"Oh hey clove!" Says zafira, looking up for the first time, I give her a awkward smile and wave, taking my knives out of my jacket for no reason expect to keep myself entertained.

"Happy you got those aren't you?" Says a voice from the other side of the campfire. I look up to see glimmer staring through the flames towards me. Her mouth us set into a pleasant smile, and her head is tilted sideways,as she shows interest, but her eyes only leer and scowl, the hard cold green glistening emerald. They're so like crystalline that, for a while, I think it's her,instead of the blonde district 1 girl with the questionable skills.but the scoring look held in them quickly puts that through out of my mind.

"Yes,yes I am"i say indifferently,not bothering to look at her. I can just imagine her face,all screwed up and disgusted at me,just for being me.

"Well, don't you think it's a bit weird how attacked you are to your knives?" She asks, a sneering hint I her already annoying voice,making it even harder to bare " isn't it just a bit kind of... psychotic?"

It takes every ounce of self control that I own not to pick up one of my knives and hurl it straight at her pretty little face.i gather myself, calming my breathing,and reply "no, it's not psychotic. No career would think
Especially not the one that was stabbing the girl from 3 to death earlier with a dagger." She snorts at my comment, but I can hardly hear it over the spitting of the flames.

When I finally look up from my arrangement of blades,only Glimmer and I ate left at the fire. I look behind me, shinning my flashlight at the corner of the plain. Cato and maverick are shorting out the minefield again, and Marvel, zafira and peeta are sorting out the sleeping bags under the shelter.

I look back at glimmer, staring straight into the fire, transfixed by the now weak flames."no need to wait for me glimmer, go rory out your sleeping bag. I'll be over in a minute."I say,testing her patience. She huffs,and walks off, leaving me alone by the fire.

"Flaming stupid bitch." I mutter to myself, shaking my head. I put my knives back into my vest,stamp out the dying remains of the cornucopia campfire,and start of towards the shelter.

The shelter is pretty well equipped. We have a stand full of large spears at the back,just in case any dering tributes decides to still our supplies, I've already aer up my sleeping bag and other supplies in the corner, away from the others. I don't exactly want to sleep near glimmer or zafira, because they might 'accidentally' murder me in their sleep, something that father always warned me about.

I unroll my sleeping bag and lay it out over the plastic Matting that the others that the others have put out on the floor. The wind rattles the large wind sail that we have put over the shelter, and Glimmer has made a disused face, muttering something to cato about the rain,that he ignores (thankfully).