Chapter 4

"I know someday I'm gonna meet her,
It's a fever dream"

- Nothing New, Taylor Swift & Phoebe Bridgers

—————————-

Sam Arias: HOLY SHIT LUTHOR???

Sam Arias: THE KARA DANVERS???

Sam Arias: Hell yeah Lena Luthor is back in the game

Sam Arias: This is so exciting!!!!

Sam Arias: also

Sam Arias: I cannot BELIEVE you've been going to see it every single night without us??

Lena stared at her phone as it threatened to vibrate itself off her desk and wondered whether telling Sam this early on had been a mistake, she seemed to be getting ahead of herself. After all, they'd only exchanged numbers. It wasn't like they were setting off on some whirlwind romance, although Lena was quite sure it wouldn't be awfully difficult to lose herself in that pair of piercing blue eyes.

Lena Luthor: would it possibly inconvenience you to calm yourself down a bit Arias.

Sam Arias: yes.

Lena Luthor: oh, please get a grip

Lena Luthor: she hasn't even texted me yet

Admittedly, Lena's entire body seizes with hope every time she gets a new text notification that night, and she snatches her phone faster each time.

Despite the deflated sinking feeling that comes with each disappointed realisation that Kara has not contacted her, Lena carries on like this for nearly two weeks.

Eventually she gives up hope, muttering under her breath about acting like a foolish teenager. This is certainly not the way she's been brought up to behave and can imagine the look of disdain on Lillian's face, if only she were to see the younger Luthor acting this way. Instead, she pulled her phone out of her purse, opened her contacts and deleted karas number. Her finger hovered over the cancel button for a millisecond longer than it should have, but she shook her head to swat away any thoughts of fantasy and pressed confirm. She also stopped visiting the ballet, no more reason to ogle the pretty prima ballerina if Lena no longer felt any interest towards her, especially as it was clear that the feeling was mutual. So, Lena continued with her usual routines, staying late at L Corp to read through mountains upon mountains of paperwork left behind by her dear brother Lex after he was arrested, skipping dinner, which was often replaced with a glass or two of very expensive whiskey, to continue working on any little projects she was currently tinkering away at.

Eventually Sam stopped pressing Lena for any news or updates about the situation. Lena's indifference towards the dancer was obvious, and Sam had quickly realised that nothing was going to happen between the two of them, and so had finally relented, instead choosing to go back to nagging Lena about all of the late nights she had.

Another three weeks passed and by this time Lena had all but forgotten Kara Danvers.

That was until her phone lit up one morning while Lena was sitting alone at her sleek shiny kitchen island, pushing her breakfast around on its plate absentmindedly while thoughts of modern technology occupied her brain instead. She did not notice the notifications the first three times, but on the fourth her attention was snapped into focus, and she looked down at the screen. She looked at the time 10:00am. then she looked lower, a grey banner that read 4 new messages from Unknown Number shone up at her.

Filled more with intrigue than annoyance she held her phone up a few inches from her face to unlock the face ID, and opened her messages app.

Unknown Number: Lena Hey!