O Brave New World

I should have never managed to fail Intro to Art

I should have never managed to fail Intro to Art. When he called me to his office, coach hadn't wanted to hear about how my partner failed to turn in our final project. There weren't excuses. I just had to make it up to him.

It was hard to see the hard copy of my transcript, and a giant fail mark was next to Intro to Art on coach's desk. He reamed me out for my attendance. Then he told me that to make up for my failed arts credit, he'd taken the liberty in enrolling me in a theater class for the summer.

The class was called Shakespearean Performance Workshop. That sounded fine, I guessed. It was only a month, and coach said that as long as I performed with the group, I should make a good grade. The course would make up for my failing grade, take a month of my summer break, and delay my return home for summer by a month.

Luckily my father and stepmother didn't live too far from the college and were happy to host me for a month since getting housing on this short notice was impossible. I'd never lived with them full time before. They had a room for me in their converted basement, which was nice.

The hard part was calling my mother and explaining why I wasn't coming home until June. She'd been understanding but disappointed. My sister, Shayna, just found it comical that I was enrolled in a Shakespeare class. She'd been in a Shakespeare play this fall that had brought a whole gamut of emotional issues with it, but she'd come out all the better for it.

I looked down at my phone to catch the time and read a series of texts from my sister before typing back my response.

Rolling my eyes, I knew my sister was trying to be supportive

Rolling my eyes, I knew my sister was trying to be supportive. I'd gone a whole year without thinking much about dating. I'd had enough heartbreak senior year of high school. I still tried not to think much about Gloria.

We'd been good friends. I'd watched her crowned prom queen just because she was my girlfriend, and then three days before graduation, she told me she was going to school on the west coast, and she didn't think our relationship was salvageable. She said she'd never been in love with me. She was just having fun.

I'd thrown myself into football training as a distraction. I hadn't wanted to go to parties or dance with girls.

I shook my head. Shayna was still in her honeymoon phase with her new boyfriend. She was at that hopeful stage where everyone could be in love just like her.