How To Deny Them, Who T' Advance And Who

Once I'd dropped off Lexi, I'd used my dad's tow truck company and told them where to find Trevor

Once I'd dropped off Lexi, I'd used my dad's tow truck company and told them where to find Trevor. Then I drove out to the interstate to find Trevor's beat-up SUV near the exit for the university.

My cousin stood outside the car with one earbud in his ear and the other dangling down on the hood of the car. He wore a dark blue hoodie with the logo of his swim team and sweats. His hair was shorn short with a lightning design shaved into the side. I pulled over in front of him and stepped out of my truck.

"What up?" Trevor grinned. "Long time no see, Christian-Porter."

"You too, Murphy-Porter," I said.

Trevor and I were thrown together time and time again growing up. He was six months older than I was, and our mothers were close. I played football while he was a swimmer.

"You know both our mamas have their divorces now," Trevor said. "Who says we have to stick these long last names that tie us to Dad's we don't even like."

I chucked. "I can't have Dad issues this summer since I have to live with him."

"Mama said that," Trevor said. "Which is how I knew you were in the area. I didn't want to call Frank, seeing as I haven't spoken to him in like six years and all my friends aren't in town cause it's summer."

"Well, I called Frank's tow truck company," I said. "So, my dad is going to be involved."

Trevor sighed, and we both suffered through the tow truck's arrival. Then I got a call from my dad. I explained the situation, and he told me to bring Trevor on by the house.

The tow truck company told Trevor they could have a new tire on his truck, and they could take a look at his shaky transmission. It would take a day or so before they'd have a diagnosis.

We ended up in my truck and driving back to my father's house since Trevor didn't have anywhere to go. When I opened the door, I found my half-siblings running around.

"Parker!" Georgia pulled on my leg. "Parker!"

"Slow down," I said, craning my neck into the living room. "Is Dad here?"

"Parker, is that you?" Lizzie called from the couch.

"That would be why the munchkins are screaming my name," I said. "I have a friend with me."

"Oh," Lizzie said. "Well, bring them in so I can meet them. Unless it's Lexi again. I already met her."

"Who's Lexi?" Trevor asked as he followed me into the family room.

Lizzie and my father sat on the couch side by side. Lizzie bounced Luna on her knee as the television blared.

"Parker," Dad said. "And is that Trevor? It's been forever, dude."

"Hey, Uncle..." Trevor searched for the right moniker awkwardly. I mean Franklin... or is it Mr. Christian?"

Dad smiled. "You can still call me Uncle Frank. Are you staying the night? We have a guestroom."