This Thing of Darkness I Acknowledge Mine

Of all the people to call me at nine at night, I wasn't expecting to see Bradley's name on the display when I picked up my phone as it rang

Of all the people to call me at nine at night, I wasn't expecting to see Bradley's name on the display when I picked up my phone as it rang. He sounded frantic.

"You doing anything right now?" He asked.

My typical nightly routine at my father's house involved hiding in my room and running over my Shakespeare lines. It was boring, but it was better than trying to play family downstairs with my father's second family.

"What do you need?" I asked.

Bradley was quiet a moment. "So here's the deal. Lexi and EK got into a fight. Lexi took off two hours ago and still hasn't come home. It's dark, and we can't get ahold of her. EK and I are out driving around looking for her."

I didn't hesitate. "You need my help?"

"Yeah, if you could drive around campus near the athletic department and see if you can spot her, it would help a lot," he said. "Maddox is checking the theater, and Riley is headed to Lexi's work and the surrounding area. Text me if you find her."

"Of course," I said. "Is Emma Kate okay?"

"She's shaken," Bradley said. "They never fight."

I wouldn't ask what they were fighting about. It wasn't my business. If I found Lexi and she wanted to talk about it, I'd let her vent. If not, I'd take her home if that's what she wanted.

"We'll find her," I said, grabbing my keys.

Making my way out to my truck, I passed my family playing Candy Land with Kayleigh. When my father spotted me, he frowned as he took in my determined expression and my keys.

"Everything okay, son?" He asked.

I was real grateful for my dad letting me stay at his house. He footed my college bill, and he was a relaxed parent for the most part, mostly because he'd stopped trying altogether. Still, nothing was going to keep me in the house playing Candy Land when my friends needed help.

"I'm just going out, Dad," I said.

"It's dark," he crossed his arms.

He was not about to play the concerned Dad card. He had no right. I glanced at my little siblings to remind me to use civil language before I took a deep breath.

"I'm nineteen," I said. "I'm going out."

Dad looked like he wanted to pick a fight, but I stared him down. I was as big as he was. His little boy was gone. I was what remained.

"When will you be back?" He asked.

"Not sure," I said. "I'll call."

Dad bit his lip. "You'd better."

He moved, and I walked straight out the door without another look. My truck took longer to warm up than I wanted. Finally, I pulled out of the driveway, and in five minutes, I was circling toward campus.