002. curiosity killed the cat

curiosity killed the cat / chapter two

THE TRAIN RIDE TO HOGWARTS was considerably quiet, aside from a couple of blathers coming from Silas' mouth — all which Daphne ignored because her eyes and ears were too absorbed on the two figures in front of her.

She had ultimately embarrassed herself in the presence of James Potter and Sirius Black, two of the most favored at Hogwarts. In addition to fancying Potter but declaring to the two of them that she practically despised him and everything associated with him.

"For go- Merlin's sake! How many times do I have to tell you? I don't like James Potter at all! Frankly, I can't stand the guy."

"Uh, Daphne-"

"No seriously, what do girls even see in him? And don't even get me started on the hair-"

"Wow, nice to meet you too."

At that exact moment, she wished that her body was in front the train instead of being inside the train. She wasn't one to admit when she was in the wrong, but she without a doubt was in the wrong and she knew it.

Silas had set her up, being the good friend that he was, but unsurprisingly backfired. Evidently, his intentions were pure, but that didn't change the fact that his plan blew up in both their faces.

Daphne let out a hefty sigh as he slowly turned to face the Potter boy, whose voice she had already recognized. Her lies never lined up with her reasoning, but that didn't stop her from coming up with weak excuses.

"I- I was talking about another James Potter at my old school-"

"Don't bother. If you don't like me, then you don't like me. There's no need to lie." James hastily cut her off, finding it slightly amusing how the girl in front of her stood there being dishonest after hearing what she had said not even a minute ago.

He would never admit it, but he found girls like her alluring — the type to get nervous and blabber the first thing that comes up to mind. Just like she had.

The brunette tittered unintentionally, and about continue to embarrass herself if it weren't for Silas the savior.

"No- I don't, I mean I didn't mean-"

"Yea, she did mean it." Silas butted in, enjoying seeing his friend completely crush her chances all on her own. His comment only earned him a nudge and  a deadly glance from Daphne, which caused his smirk to disappear in a heart beat. "Sorry."