11: Shortcomings

"And so, we escorted the bridge-builder to and from Nami without incident."

Sakura gave him an odd look.

"Who are you talking to, Naruto-kun?" Sakura asked quizzically. "Plus, I think we have differing opinions on the meaning of the phrase 'without incident'."

"Ahem. I will recount the mission hitherto."

~♡~

Team 7 met up in Training Ground 3, as usual, and Sakura found Kakashi hidden in a hollow rock before they made their way to their client's motel. They met a scraggly old man wearing coarse clothing. The man quickly gathered his belongings and reached the lobby where the four waited for him, with a gourd full of alcohol on his hip and shouldering a traveller's backpack.

"Hello, we are the team that has been assigned to handle your mission request. I am a jōnin, and these three are the most capable young genins in Konohagakure. We will be making haste for Nami -- I presume that would not be an issue?" Kakashi addressed the client, wearing the clearest example of a classic business smile.

"I am Tazuna, the great bridge-builder. Are you sure these kids...?" the bridge-builder introduced himself, glancing doubtfully at the trio.

"My name is Uchiha Sasuke," Sasuke answered icily. "These are my teammates, Uzumaki Naruto and Haruno Sakura. Considering how little you are paying us for this mission request, be grateful that you're even getting this much."

Tazuna gulped and backed off.

He comforted himself with knowing that these were members of two powerful clans that even he, as a civilian, has heard of.

"If you continue to condescend my team with that attitude, I'm afraid we'll have to be less than kind to you as well. We might have taken your money, but how we treat you beyond the scope of this mission is up to our own discretion," Kakashi said pleasantly.

Tazuna made a sign of surrender and resolved himself to avoid speaking unnecessarily.

"Also, Sasuke-kun, it is often best not to give your full name during missions. At times, we'll use code names. At others, just your name would suffice. Of course, there could be situations where it would be most efficient to reveal your identity," Kakashi taught him, unexpectedly dedicated.

Sasuke was a little taken aback -- was he being told off?

No one, except his family members, has dared admonish him throughout these three lives he remembered.

"This is one of them, so stop confusing him," Naruto rebuked disapprovingly.

Sasuke tended to be slow to react when someone did something he perceived as an insult towards him.

Kakashi chuckled, replying mildly, "That was not my intention."

"Are we going now, Kakashi-sensei?" confirmed Sakura, looking at the bridge-builder.

"Naruto, do you have seals that assist in travel?" Kakashi asked in lieu of a response.

"Swiftness, stamina, automatic steps and agility, if the one being enhanced is a civilian. If not, I suppose I have anti-gravity and air resistance reduction if we are going to be lugging the client around," Naruto recited, pulling out a stack of blank talismans and a brush.

Kakashi slowly turned to face Tazuna, who panicked and cried out, "I'll walk! No, I'll run! Leave me this last shred of dignity! Don't drag me around!"

Kakashi shrugged nonchalantly, jabbing a thumb towards Tazuna as he replied, "The first set, then."