4: Confusion

Itachi entered the Hokage's office via an open window, kneeling before the Hokage whilst trying to keep his amazement from his talk with Naruto hidden under wraps. It just would not do for him to let the Hokage find out about Naruto's hidden abilities, since the boy seemed to have taken such pains to hide his actual level of intelligence. He hoped that the ANBU mask that he donned was enough to hide his emotions since his usual poker face just refused to hold out. It just failed every time he so much as thought about how Naruto had known about his mission.

"Mission report," Hiruzen barked.

"The mission was successful. All perpetrators were executed, but all the innocents have unfortunately been assassinated by ROOT operatives before I had reached the scene. Unfortunately, I was unable to collect any proof of Danzō's underground activities. I had tortured Uchiha Sasuke mentally, enough to ensure that he will definitely preach about me being the biggest traitor alive," Itachi said monotonously, hiding all is the conflicting emotions that he felt upon speaking of the massacre.

Hiruzen nodded approvingly, though his voice was sad as he said, "I'm sorry to have put you through this. I know that it was your own decision, but a nice boy like you doesn't deserve to be hated for doing such a great service to his village."

"I'm fine. Please give me my orders for my next mission," Itachi said in a detached manner.

"Of course, Itachi-kun. Your next mission is a long-term SS-rank. Mission details are as follows: Infiltrate criminal organisation Akatsuki for an undetermined amount of time. You are going to send back information on this organisation. It had appeared mysteriously several years ago and started taking on missions of A to S in rank. They have not shown to be hostile, but both Jiraiya of the Sannin and myself have suspicions that they are planning something. S-rank missing-nin do not just disappear overnight, after all. Jiraiya believes that they are joining the Akatsuki. However, that only brings more reason to fear as S-rank shinobi tend to only listen to those stronger than themselves. That would mean that the leader, who we have yet to identify, is beyond S-rank. You are to send routine reports of the strength of the organisation and its plans once a year. Is that clear?" Hiruzen stated.

"Crystal clear," Itachi said, his voice not betraying his confusion.

'Did Naruto know about this?' Itachi could not help but wonder.

Naruto had plans of his own, after all. Moreover, it did not seem as though the Hokage had informed Danzō about this particular decision. For all he knew, Naruto had plans for the Akatsuki.

"The date set is twentieth June. The reports are to be sent via summons to one of the Konoha ANBU outposts - any one would do - where an ANBU will deliver the report to me. Secure it with blood seals," Hiruzen explained.

"Understood. I shall be taking my leave. Remember to make it seem like I killed everyone on a whim. I told Sasuke that it was just a test of my power," Itachi said, leaving in a crow shunshin.

Instead of going further away, Itachi chose to make a campsite on the outskirts of Konoha. He locked on Sasuke's chakra signature, relief flooding him when he detected an ANBU that he trusted - Kakashi - pick him up and take him to the hospital. Before that, though, he felt the familiar signature of Naruto go through the things left in the compound. Itachi was confused since he could not sense the boy's chakra. It was more of a gut feeling telling him that Naruto was there.

'What in the world is that?' Itachi wondered, not expecting a reply of any sort.

"It's because of the seals. I made a sort of psychic link between us that I'll further explain in the scroll later. I'm currently busy collecting Sharingan and anything else of value from your compound to prevent them from getting into Danzō's filthy hands," Itachi heard Naruto's voice resound within his mind.