5: The Jinchūriki

Naruto ended up at an inconvenient location at an inconvenient timing, right behind a lonely redhead who sat on a swing with a wide berth between him and the other children. Grateful that no one saw his arrival, Naruto decided to approach the young boy who seemed to be about the same age as his current body. The children were all too busy playing to even send a glance his way.

"Hello," Naruto spoke up, placing a hand on the lone child's shoulder.

Said child jumped in surprise, squeaking shyly when he realised that someone was gracing him with their presence, "H-Hi!"

"What's your name?" Naruto asked conversationally. "I'm Naruto, Uzumaki Naruto!"

"Gaara..." the redhead replied quietly, still in disbelief that there was actually someone who was willingly speaking to him and shocked that his sand was not responding to this person's touch.

"Do you happen to know a certain tanuki by the name of Shukaku? I hear that he's been a little out of it these past few years. I would also like to lend the little jailor some assistance," Naruto asked, having identified Gaara as the jinchūriki upon contact.

Gaara blinked in surprise, thinking sadly, 'So he's looking for me... Maybe tou-san gave him the order to kill me? But he's so young... Maybe even younger than me... Besides, I've never seen him around before.'

Noticing Gaara's hesitation, Naruto added, "I am long overdue for a visit to a certain tanuki. I promise that it will help his jinchūriki out too."

Gaara stiffened, eyeing the other boy in suspicion.

"Look here. I won't harm you. I wasn't sent by anyone to attack you or anything. I have come here from another land to check on the tanuki. I will not hurt you, so just let me see your seal for a bit," Naruto sighed, giving up on the pretence that he knew not of the other boy's jinchūriki status.

"Why would I trust your words?" Gaara asked, narrowing his eyes.

"I'm a jinchūriki too. I see no point in attacking another of my kind," Naruto answered the question, meeting Gaara's gaze with no hesitation to show him his sincerity.

Gaara gaped at Naruto openly.

"How in the world did you leave your village alone?" Gaara questioned, "Us jinchūriki are always to be kept under maximum security unless on missions outside the village for the safety of the village and the jinchūriki themselves! Even I learned that! How did you lose your guard?"

"They think that I am at home, sick," Naruto admitted, "Besides, it has barely been ten minutes since I've left. My brother will cover for me even if someone gets suspicious."

"What would you know of the seal anyway? Fūinjutsu is a difficult shinobi art that few manage to master in the course of their lifetimes! You are but my own age!" Gaara exclaimed.

"I am an Uzumaki," Naruto replied as though that was the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything.

"The clan that required the combined forces of Kiri, Kumo and Iwa to get wiped out completely, huh? I heard that they were all naturals at fūinjutsu. However, I have also heard of their trademark red hair," Gaara spoke, raising an eyebrow.

"I inherited the yellow from my father," Naruto replied simply.

"Hmm... Alright, I will trust you. However, I am not taking the blame if Shukaku runs loose and kills everyone," Gaara warned.

Naruto just rolled his eyes.

"Just let me take you out of the village. We'll do this in an isolated part of the desert somewhere if that lessens your worry," Naruto told the boy.