Raceday

Esteban POV

It's race day. This first fucking raceday of the season! Me and Daniel we'll be driving the shit out of this Renault today. I'm starting 11th, which is great because of the free choice of tyres. Daniel is right behind me so everything is on for good points today. 

I woke up, alone this time, and I went to the paddock. When I arrived the paddock was already buzzing. You could just feel that it was raceday again. The journalists were running around and the photographers were absolutely everywhere. 

Once again, Lando had gone to the paddock way earlier than me, so I hadn't seen him today. I really wanted to see him though. It was the day of his first F1 race and he was nervous like hell. You could just tell by looking at him. He was going to do great though, I felt it. He was starting p7 today, after a great qualifying session yesterday. I couldn't be more proud of him. Still, I hated seeing him this nervous. He really struggled with all the pressure of the journalists and other media and it was heartbreaking. 

Though, since the paddock was buzzing, I couldn't just walk into the Mclaren motorhome. I decided to text Lando instead:

"Heyyy, where u at?  Can't just walk to your dressingroom now, so meet in the cafe in half an hour?"

He immediately replied:

"Yeah, great, see ya! xx"

Well, that was quick. So, to kill the time I went to my dressingroom. It was way to early to be in the garage already, I would just walked in the way of the engineers. I watched the Formula 2 race on the screen in my room and I texted some friends from home. Everyone was watching the race today, since it was the first one of the season. 

After half an hour, I went to the café to see that Lando was already there. His back was turned in my direction. I walked towards him until I was right behind him and I put my hand on his shoulder. 

"Heyyyy, how are y-" I started, but before I could finish Lando interuppted me. His arms flew around my neck and he burried his head in my shoulder. 

"Hey love, there's something wrong?" I whispered as I started to stroke his hair with my hands. 

"No no, I'm just so nervous Es," he said looking up at me. "What if I do something wrong? What if I finish last?" 

He burried his face in my neck again. He looked so worried, I could just feel the nerves through the fabric of my shirt. I started playing with his curles again. 

"You won't Lando, you'll be great," I told him, " nothing to worry about, okay?"

"Okay, just, don't leave now okay?" 

"I won't, I'm right here."

I took a quickly look on the café. There weren't many people here, just some mechanics from Mclaren and some from Redbull. Lando and I were standing in the corner of the café, but nobody was paying attention on us. I think all f1 crew in the paddock knew about us, which I didn't mind. The journalists didn't, which I was thankfull for. 

I focussed again on the boy in my arms. He was relaxing a little, I could feel his nerves diminish. After a while he pulled his face out of my shoulder and he looked up at me. His blue eyes stared right at me. He pouted and I smiled. I quickly gave him a kiss and I said:

"I think we've got to go and get ready now. Remember, you'll be great, you know that right?"

"Let's go then," he stated with a smile on his face. 

"I love you, Lando Norris."

"I love you, too Esteban Ocon."

--

We were here. The outlap had almost ended. The visor was down, my hands were on the wheel and my eyes on the grid. It's time. The lights went on. All of the cars were starting. I could feel the heart beat inside my chest, raising it's speed. One by one the lights went on, like a slowmotion video. It was the only thing I could do was pushing the pedal as soon as they went off. 

Out. 

The yellow car rolled from the starting spot. Like a rocket I went past the car in front of me. Before I knew it, we were 3 wide at turn 1. I breaked as late as I could. A blue Toro Rosso was next to me and on the otherside was a pink Racing Point. I tried to out break the pink car without hitting the blue one, but I had no choice but forcing the blue on off the track. The Toro Rosso went wide and came back on track right behind me. Before I knew it, I was past the Racing Point. Then, in the split second I looked into my mirror and saw the blue car I had just overtaken crashing into an orange car. The Mclaren went straight into the barriers and the yellow lights started to appear everywhere. 

"Okay Esteban, safety car, safety car, crash in turn 3. You're ninth now, ninth."

"Copy, who crashed? Is he okay?"

"Sainz went of, Albon a puncture."

"Okay copy."

Thank god it wasn't Lando, and also that Carlos is okay. 

"Safety car in this lap, Hamilton will start again. Keep your distance to Gasly ahead."

 Thing thing of being ninth is that you have absolutely no idea of when the raceleader will start the race again. Reaction is key. It was like staring at the red lights again, but now it were the other cars. 

Like an instict I pushed the pedal as hard as I could. A pink car was trying to overtake me, but I closed the corner and started to run away. Gasly was way to fast so I couldn't keep up. The Redbull faded on the start finish straight and I wasn't battling with anyone anymore.

The race had ended. Points! Fucking points! 

"Esteban that's a p7, p7. Great job mate!"

"Whoooooohoooo, that's how you start a season. You're amazing guys, will do it this season."

It was late already. The journalists had been asking questions about the race for hours now, and I could finally go home. I didn't straight away though, I first went to the Williams motorhome. It's really the place we hang out this weekend. When I got there, I saw George, Carlos and Charles there, but no Lando. 

"Bonjour guyssss! Where's my boyfriend?"

"Thought he would be with you?" Carlos said.

"No, no he isn't."

"Maybe in his dressingroom then? He had a lot of interviews so maybe he's still dressing aroud." George said. 

"I'll check up on him then," I said, waving the guys goodbye. I went to the Mclaren motorhome and walked straight to Lando's dressingroom. I knocked on the door and opened it. When I looked into the room, I saw a totally broken boy sitting in the corner of the room. His tears were running down his cheeks and his shoulders were shaking. I quickly ran towards him and hold him tight. He burried his face into the fabric of my hoodie, resting his head on my shoulder. I stroked his back and whispered in his ear:

"Ssssst, it's okay, it's okay."

"Don't leave Es, don't leave."

"I'm right here, I'm not leaving."