Back home

Lando's pov

It was the monday evening after the China GP. We had just landed on the airport and we went back home. Esteban was with me again. I told my parents that we were going to their house for diner, so Esteban drove us there. I had been sleeping most of the time in the plane because yesterday was exhausting. Esteban was driving the car, so I had time to think a little. I hadn't really talked to my team after my breakdown yesterday. I don't know what happened, I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was keeping the best part of me as a secret to everyone. Why?  I didn't want to do this. Not at all. What if I could just hold his hand before a race? Just kiss him in a restaurant and just do normal couple things? We didn't have to be a secret, right? There's nothing that can stop us. Our teams don't mind it, I'm sure the fans won't, just the people who think of my image do. Well, fuck them. I can't do this. 

"We should tell them." I stated. I didn't gave any context but still Esteban seemed to understand me. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I mean, yeah. You're the best thing in my life and yet we're a secret. What's the point? Let's just go for it. Okay?"

"Are you sure you can handle the media attention?" he gave me a worried look. 

"Everything better than this," I stated. I meant it from the bottom of my heart. I love this boy so much, the world should know. 

"Then, I'm very happy with this plan," he smiled at me and put his hand on my leg. I smiled back at him. We were arriving on the driveway of the house of my parents. We got out of the car, Esteban still a little groaning because of his back, and walked into the house. As I opened the door, I saw my parents sitting on the sofa with my sisters. They were watching some weird show I hadn't seen before. 

"Hello there!" I surprised them. They all looked up and smiled at us. Flo and Cisca got off the couch and I was ready to give them a hug. To my surpise they both ran towards Esteban. Cisca hugged him and he hugged her back. Such a cute sight. I smiled at them. Then it was Flo's turn to hug him. Then, she didn't. Out of a sudden, she slapped Esteban on his arm. 

"Hey, why do you do that?" he asked offended. Everyone was looking very surprised. 

"The hell Es!" Flo exclaimed. "I thought you were dead for a minute!" 

Then she did hug him. A little to tight it seemed, 'cause Esteban groan when she sqeezed his back. 

"Easy, easy little girl. I'm alive, don't worry." He hugged her back now.

"You better be," she said when she pulled away. 

"I am too!" I exclaimed, which made everyone laugh. My sisters came to me for a hug now. We went to the couch where my parents still sat and joint them. Cisca was sitting in Esteban's lap like she always was and Flo and I were sitting next to my father. My mom continued the conversation: 

"Yeah, good to see you're okay. I looked like such a heavy crash. I took like five minutes before they showed us you were alive! How worried we were!" 

She sounded almost mad at Esteban. She wasn't ofcourse, just very worried. 

"Yeah, I'm sorry for that. I was completely in the barriers so it took some time before I could move.  My back hurt so much I couldn't really get up, so I sat in the car for a minute or so. The medical staff was trying to get me out but it took a while. The TV director probably couldn't see whether I was alive or not. But, I am, haha," Esteban said. 

"Good, good," my dad stated. 

We sat on the couch some more time before diner was ready. Flo and I talked about her horseriding tournament in which she'll compete next saturday. I was so sad I couldn't be there, but mom was going to facetime me so I could see it a little. My sister is the most talented person I know. She wins pretty much every contest she competes in and we're all so proud of her. 

When diner was ready we all went sitting on the kitchen table. I decided to start the conversation:

"Uhm, well, there's more that happened in this weekend, actually. I had ofcourse driven a good race so the journalists were waiting for me in the paddock, but I wasn't there ofcourse, since I was in the hospital with Es. So, Carlos told everyone I was in the hospital and now people are curious and stuff. My management team isn't that happy aswell."

I paused for a moment. My mom was giving me worried looks and Cisca just looked confused. She didn't understand ofcourse. Before anyone could react, I continued:

"Anyways, we've been thinking about this situation and we came to the conclusion that we just want to tell the world about us. Like, not hiding a secret anymore."

There was a short moment of silence, when Cisca broke it:

"What secret?"

"You know, C, the other people in this world don't know that Esteban and I are in a relationship," I explained her. 

"Was it a secret? Because I told all my friends about you already," she said, looking at Esteban. He just laught, like we all did, and said:

"Well, don't worry little one. It won't be a secret for long anymore."

"I'm proud of you two boys," my mom said," and I think it's just beautiful that you're confident enough to tell the world."

"I can't agree more," my dad said. He smiled at us and we smiled back. 

"Omg, you can come to my competition than! Whenever you're not racing ofcouse," Flo exclaimed. 

"I'll definitely come," he reassured her. 

Everything was perfect now. I couldn't wait to tell the world.