Chapter One

I want to tell you about every single detail of the years that you have missed. But, at the same time, I have to wonder how much you do know. Those stupid gates at the airport that separates the past from the future. A future in which I no longer will see you or be part of your life. Well, not in a physical sense. I bet you don't even miss me yet. Embarking on that everlasting trip around the same flaming, hot, ultra-bright sun I see on every single sunny day.

Who knew those airport gates could change everything we had in life?

All of the laughs from being goofy suddenly feel like a memory drifting towards the edge of the abyss in the back of my mind. The inside jokes only ever came to mind when reminded through the technology held in my hand. I'll be the first to admit, that the sun went down for a few years when you had decided to hop onto that plane. The lights in the house had gone dim to match the sun that had gone down. A few of the neighbors were concerned for the first few months following your departure; eventually, the neighbors seemed to grow tired as well.

I wrote letters for the first few years, but I wasn't sure where to send them to. Did you know that it's hard to send someone a letter without having a final destination printed out on the front of the envelope?

If only the security weren't so tight, then I would have gone with you on that plane to make sure you reached your new final destination safely.

         * * * * * * *

Right before the holidays- those super busy times of the year where I am almost guaranteed a small bonus- I try to cram as many shifts in our town's holiday store as possible. Rainy-Day-Holiday- yes, the holiday store I work at is named after a day designated for rain- has been one of the oldest stores to remain around for longer than expected. But, at the same time, our holiday store serves every holiday imaginable in America- even those of other cultures that hardly ever get recognition here.

And, while the name of our holiday store is anything but cheery, it is appropriately named. For some reason, every single day leading up to a specific holiday is taken over by rain. The light grey clouds start to loom over the town a week in advance only to become progressively darker each day. Of course, no one in this town seems to notice the pattern of the weather.

       I assume it's because they are all absorbed in their little world inside of their heads. The same little world where bright rays of sunshine reside daily with little to no other weather changes. I wish I could say that I envy them for not noticing the rain, but I would much rather see a world where rain exists. Yet, I do have to wonder, do they get tired of seeing those bright rays of sunshine?

    Regardless of the answer, I know I could not handle living in a world where there was no balance between the two. Just like I could not live in a world where Monday does not exist in a week but every single day is a Friday. I would say that every single day is a Saturday, but, let's be real, there are always way too many activities happening on a Saturday.

    "Excuse me, ma'am," the girl I had started to check out waved her hand in front of my face. "Are you okay?"

        'Not anymore, I'm not.' I thought to myself, as I shook my head to snap out of my thoughts. I got back to scanning and ringing up the total, but my mind was still elsewhere.

        If it weren't for the fact that this store celebrated all of the holidays 365 days a year, then I would not have met any of the customers that give me some sort of motivation. This job is already hard enough with the constant reminder that life goes on, no matter what the current status is of a person's life. But, at the same time, does life truly continue for people after being separated from the ones closest to them? Or, are they forced to keep going because people tell them to move on?