I - home

Monday, 1st November 2021

It was just an ordinary day at his bookstore. Music playing softly from the speakers. A few people came in. Looking around. Teenagers standing at the shelves, reading mangas. An elderly couple stood by the Travel guides. Kids ran around with shushed voices. Their parents chatting and laughing happily. It was peaceful. Nothing could ruin this wonderful world of books.

For the most of his customers this place was comforting them. Their safe place. Just like books. They could flee into a fictional world. Ignore the problems of their life and just read. It was their addiction.

Hongjoong knew a lot of his customers by their names already. They came a few times each month. Buying books. Everytime a different amount. They would speak about everything that seemed possible.

Sometimes one of his regulars would come to him instead of their parents or therapist. He tried to help. Everytime. Because he felt the same way the most of his regulars feel right now. He could empathize.

"Good morning, Lucie. How are you?" he smiled at a teenage girl. She wore a black crop top, ripped skinny jeans, also in black and big, heavy boots. She for sure spends hours on looking like that. But it suits her. Her snow-white skin lets her look like a walking corpse.

"Hi, Hongjoong. I have to thank you again for last week." she smiled happily. Someone the older doesn't know stood beside her. "There's no need to thank me. I would do it again." he brushed it off as if it were nothing. He just helped her to confess to someone. Gave her advice.

"This is my girlfriend, Soma." the black haird female introduced the unknown female to the oldest. "Oh, hi. Nice to meet you, Soma. I'm Hongjoong." The blonde girl smiled at him. "Nice to meet you to, Sir." Her voice was hushed. Just like a whisper. "You don't have to be formal with me. Just call me Hongjoong." the white haired laughed and scanned the books.

"Oh, didn't you buy this a month ago?"

"Yeah, but my little brother tore it to pieces. You know he's not good with books. I mean he loves reading as much as I do but this book made him so sad and upset that he destroyed it." Lucie laughs. Smiling the older shook his head and got back to work. "That would make $43, please." he said. The girls passing him the money. Bidding their goodbyes to one another, the couple walked out of his store. Like he said just an ordinary day.