A familiar face

The last thing Eun-Hyuk remembered before he appeared in the school was his body being crushed by rubble as the Green Home Apartment building collapsed around him. The snapping of his shattering bones and his screams were drowned out by the roaring crashes of debris falling and the music blaring in his ears from Eun-Yu's headphones. The blood that had been pouring from his nose was nothing compared to the sight of the broken, bloody heap of his crushed body.

When the dust settled, the building completely totalled, the fog began to lightly drift over the destroyed apartment building, seeping through the cracks between the debris covering him. He couldn't feel the feather light snowflakes that landed onto his exposed, broken hand just yet. Normally brown eyes opened as voids of inky black, not really seeing the carnage surrounding him.

Eun-Yu smiled down at him, brushing some dirt and gravel from his face with icy fingers. His glasses were broken but he could see her just fine anyway. Snowflakes clung to her dark hair and eyelashes, she didn't look like it bothered her though. How was she here? It wasn't safe for her.

'Go,' he tried to say, only to choke on his words, throat dry and filling up with dust as he tried to speak. The swirling wall of fog was oppressive and claustrophobic but he barely registered it. Too focused on the smiling teenage girl above him.

"Don't be stupid, moron," she chastised. "You're the one that's dying but you're worried about me? Idiot."

Eun-Hyuk's heavy black eyes wanted to close but he refused. He didn't want to look away from his sister, afraid she'd disappear. He wasn't dying, the fact that he was even still conscious proved that. Just like Hyun-Su all those weeks ago, he'd been saved by the golden hour. There was no way the Eun-Yu in front of him was real, she was too clean in comparison to the destruction around them. So, he had to assume that she was a hallucination. Part of him didn't care in that moment, he wanted to spend a little bit longer with his sister before he was dragged back into reality. But the more alert part of his brain was screaming. He knew she would try to tempt him, manipulate him into giving in to the curse. He couldn't let that happen, he refused to be a monster.

"N...ot—" a cough tore up his raw throat. "Real."

The fake Eun-Yu grinned, black eyes that mirrored his own shone with malice, "Of course I'm not real. What makes you think Eun-Yu loves you enough to even care that you didn't come back? That you abandoned her."

An argument sat poised on his tongue like a a venomous snake, the med student was torn between lashing out at the monster wearing his sister's face and vehemently ignoring it. It would not benefit him in any way to give it the attention it was after, there was only one way that could end and it was a fate he wouldn't allow himself to succumb to.

"Just give in," it said. "It'll all be okay."

Over the years he had been accused of being many things— heartless, apathetic, cold— and a few of those things accusations were valid. He was cold and logical, he made the difficult decisions without letting his own pesky feelings interfere. But, unknown to most people, he cared. He cared a lot. That was why he took it upon himself to step up to lead the group at the beginning, he couldn't let any of them die. Above all, he cared about Eun-Yu. Even if he had a hard time showing it, he just hoped she knew how much he loved her. Her reluctance to let him go back for Hyun-Su told him that maybe she did  feel the same. She would be furious that he lied to her but in his heart he knew that she loved him, that's why his lie would hurt her even more. 

He stayed behind to keep her safe. He wasn't going to just give in.

No, never in a million years. He knew he wouldn't have the will to fight the monster inside him forever, but he would fight all the way to the bitter end. Eun-Yu would kill him twice if he let himself die like this.