In(Ex)ternal Suffering

Is this what dying feels like?

Jisu thought it would be more dramatic, honestly.

At some point during the journey through the tunnels she had realised the pain in her abdomen definitely wasn't just because of her surgery a couple days ago. Her stomach was in agony, her head just as bad, and her eyesight was beginning to blur. She felt weak and fuzzy, even leaning most of her weight against Jae-Hwan and Eun-Yu she felt as though she might collapse any second. She didn't have to be a medical student to know she was in serious trouble. Her confrontation with the thug trying to hurt Yuri had clearly done more damage to her than she'd originally thought. Abdominal pain, headaches, fuzzy vision, trouble concentrating. 

She was bleeding internally.

Was this really how she was going to go? Being dragged through a maze of underground tunnels as she slowly got weaker and weaker? Death was always tragic but that was just sad

"Keep your eyes open!" Eun-Yu snapped. "We'll be out soon and the army guys will have a doctor with them!"

Jae-Hwan was struggling to hold her weight, "Exactly, just hold on."

Jisu groaned, forcing them to a stop. It took all her effort and she sagged against the wall in defeat.

"Just go."

"Look, I get you have this whole super bitch hero thing going on, but don't be fucking stupid!" Eun-Yu grabbed her arm, trying to pull her along. Her hand was lazily slapped away.

"I'm slowing you down," Jisu said, resigned to her fate. At least she could die knowing she wasn't the reason her friends didn't get to safety in time.

With conflicted and sad eyes, the rest of the group watched as Eun-Yu and Jae-Hwan continued to pull her along as she struggled. Seung-Wan joined in on their efforts and soon the whole group was helping to carry Jisu along the path.

A group of strangers in the beginning, most of them hadn't even known each others names. But they were tired of losing people. Enough people had died today. So, with a heaviness settling in their souls, they fought. Fought to carry Jisu to safety, to keep her alive. Just like she would do, and had done, for them.

But it was no use and her vision was growing darker with every passing minute. Through her weak vision, it almost looked like fog was filling the tunnel. If Jisu had been in her right state of mind she would have noticed everyone's confused looks.

"Fog?" Hye-In whispered in a baffled tone.

"Does that mean we're almost out?" Jin-Ok asked, looking around for any sign of the outside world. Su-Young and Young-Su were both held close to her with their faces buried in her cardigan, she was trying to keep them out of the way. The children didn't need to see this.

Jisu stared deep into the fog, feeling somehow that the fog was staring back. But how...?

'Would you like to keep surviving?' A voice asked. But she didn't hear it with her ears. It was in her head. 

Her head lolled limply to the side, her eyes narrowed. "Where are you?"

Eun-Yu snapped her fingers in front of her face, "Jisu? Hey, who are you talking to? Stay awake, you idiot!"

'A place where death doesn't exist. Doesn't that sound nice?'

The group carrying Jisu was trying their hardest to rush towards an exit, someone accidentally losing grip of her. She groaned as she fell to the ground, hands were on her trying to make sure she was okay but she couldn't feel them. She knew she was dying.