Chapter 6 - Press Conference

"You're kidding, right?" Steve exclaimed.

"Do I look like I'm kidding?" Tony shot back.

"You can't announce them as Avengers!" Steve argued. "We just met Akuma, and we hardly know anything about her, and Loki is still hated by all of New York."

Astrid glanced at Loki who just sighed. "What does Fury think about this?"

"I don't go to him with everything I want to do!" Tony said. "He's not in charge of us or me."

"He, quite literally, is," Astrid pointed out.

"Not the point," Tony glared at her before continuing his argument with Steve.

"Have you even asked them if they want to be Avengers?" Natasha leaned off of the door frame and walked over.

"You also know that that means that both of their dampeners come off, right?" Clint said as he walked in as well.

"I have taken that into consideration," Tony told Clint, then looked over to Astrid and Loki, as if just realizing that they may not want to become Avengers.

Astrid shrugged. "Doesn't matter much to me, although it would be a plus to get these dampeners off." She gestured to the band around her wrist.

"Not like you trust me either way, although I would like it as well to get the dampeners off," Loki said.

"You're going to let Loki free?" Everyone looked to the doorway where Bruce stood petrified. "You do realize that he's tried to kill us, right? Same with Akuma!"

"Let's be real, we could kill any of you, powers or not," Astrid said and Loki smirked in agreement.

"That's not very comforting," Steve grumbled.

"Point is, if we honestly wanted you dead, you would be. It just hurts to have the dampeners," Astrid admitted.

"Hurts?" Natasha asked.

"Well, not hurt per-say, but it's unnatural to have our powers bound. Like missing a part of ourselves. I'm sure most of you can understand that," Astrid explained.

The Avengers looked at each other uncomfortably. "Why didn't you say that before?"

"Would you have listened?" Loki sneered.

"Probably not," Steve admitted.

"Okay, so we're all in agreement?" Tony asked, and everyone nodded, some more hesitant than others. "Great. I'll organize a press conference later today."

"That soon?" Bruce asked.

"I've organized hundreds of these," Tony grinned. "And Friday, unlock the dampeners."

There was a happy bing, and the dampeners on Loki and Astrid opened and fell to the floor. They each tested their magic with a smile as it worked.

Loki glanced around, and disappeared in a puff of green smoke, causing everyone to panic.

"I told you this was a bad idea!" Steve yelled.

Natasha and Astrid seemed to be the only ones who weren't worried. Natasha walked over to her with a neutral expression. "Where is he?"

"Why do you think I know?" Astrid asked.

"I know magic users can track energy sources," Natasha said. "Now, where is he?"