Chapter 8 - Mission

Astrid had a pounding headache the next morning—in which no spells seemed to fix—and could hardly remember a single part of last night. She hoped she didn't say anything too revealing.

She found it odd that she woke up in her bed, but figured someone just brought her up. She quickly dressed herself and fixed her hair and makeup and made her way downstairs.

It seemed she wasn't the only one with a headache, as Tony and Natasha were on the couch with their hand on their forehead.

"Good morning," Astrid chuckled, then regretted it as her head pounded from the movement.

"We've got bad news," Natasha informed her as she put the volume on the television higher.

"Breaking news! Lakuma confirmed," someone on the television said.

"Lakuma?" Astrid asked. "Is that seriously supposed to be a ship name?"

The television showed Astrid smiling drunkenly as she flirted with Loki. If she focused hard, she could see Loki's ear tips turn pink and she wondered what she said.

"What's so bad abo-" she cut herself off as drunk her kissed Loki and the two fell onto the ground out of view of the camera. "What the fuck."

"Great job, Sparkles," Tony sighed.

"What- why did I...I don't even- no. What?!" Astrid shot out a blast of purple energy in frustration. "Gods help me."

"The public wants to know!" The news reporter exclaimed.

"Wants to know what?" Astrid asked, having zoned out for a moment.

"When you're going to announce the relationship," Natasha explained and Astrid sighed.

"There's nothing to announce," Astrid insisted.

"That video says otherwise," Tony remarked. "Did you know that, a lot of the time, drunk actions are what we actually want to do, but have enough common sense not to?"

"What, so you're saying I want to kiss Loki?" Astrid asked. "That's ridiculous."

"Glad you think so." Loki appeared in that moment with a frown. "Tell that to everyone else, though."

"The news loves gossip, they'll get over it," Tony said.

Astrid flinched as a siren went off in the building. "Urgent mission alert!" Friday called out, and in a few moments everyone was downstairs.

"Friday, give me the deets," Tony said.

"Director Fury has found a Hydra base that he orders you to raid and collect the trapped SHIELD agents."

"Alright. Everyone but the new gods, suit up," Tony told everyone.

"Why not? We're officially part of the Avengers," Astrid reminded him.

"She's not wrong," Clint agreed. "They should be on this mission."

"Fine. You can be in charge of them. If anything goes wrong because of them, you're benched from missions for a month," Tony said. "No. Two months."

"Great," Clint muttered. "Don't mess this up."

Everyone piled into the jet as it zoomed to the coordinates Fury sent. Tony had brought all the Avengers: Thor, Natasha, Steve, Clint, and Loki. She was glad he left out Peter—this mission was too dangerous for him.

The jet landed and everyone but Bruce slowly exited onto the grass. Tony exchanged a confused glance with Steve. The place was quiet—too quiet.

Natasha and Clint stood guard at the entrance as the rest entered in. Everyone had a weapon ready, whether it be a shield, magical energy, or a hammer.

The group stayed together as they searched all the rooms and cells, even double checking to make sure they didn't miss anything. They didn't—the entire facility was empty.

It did seem recently emptied. There was no dust, and there were random items clattered all over the place as if the people were in a hurry to leave. Who could have warned them?

They went back to Natasha and Clint and gave a helpless shrug. "It's been emptied."

"How recently?" Natasha asked.

"Very," Steve said.

"Someone must have alerted them of this raid," Clint noted. "How is that possible?"

"A spy," Astrid realized. "Someone on the inside."

"Are you implying that SHIELD has been infiltrated?" Steve asked.

"It's possible," Natasha admitted. "We can't trust what they say now."

"What about Fury?" Tony asked.

"Even him."

"No. I trust Fury, he wouldn't do this," Clint protested.

"But his communication devices could be bugged or he could be impersonated," Natasha told him, and he sadly agreed that was possible.

They headed back to the jet which took them back. That mission was a fail, and they discovered something unthinkable. They were alone now.