Far East-Part Two: He Gathers

A light wind tickles against my neck, and goosebumps rise from the intrusion. I inhale the breeze into my lungs, and it feels as if I'm breathing in fire. 

The Wild aches. 

Looking around, expecting to see Charlie, she's not here, but something else is. The wind shuffles across the exposed skin. My gut sinks.

The crows sound to be murmuring to each other. Alpha. Alpha. Alpha.

Sophie has rounded up all the new Far East females. They haven't succeeded fully in transforming themselves into resembling this pack yet. They will; with time, they all do. These are the females I need. They are the experts in their memory of their former land. It's fresh, just like a new blade, sharper, and perfect.

My foot hovers forward. What am I prepared to do if they don't speak of their land?

I open my eyes, and I am prepared to do everything. Anything.

"I want to respect you, Alpha. Not fear you." The Luna with the golden eyes that burn. Every motion reminds me of a den mother ready to fight the last fight of their life—a death commitment.

Luna Meela raises her eyes with no intention of obeying. She can hold my eyes for a few seconds before she drops them. Yet she continues to come back to my eyes with hers over and over again.

"These are pups, Alpha." Her voice rises, but her position is planted firmly into the ground—she does not move. The females behind her weep and clutch their pups to their chests or cradle their bellies in protection.

"This is life, Luna." I glance behind this Luna, who understands that everything will be done to get what I want. The females crowd into each other, pressing into a tighter group. Their mates are kept in place by Finian, who stands there without the show of teeth. If he were to snarl, it would be all their deaths. I've learned that if Finian shows his teeth, he doesn't put them away until the whites are stained with red.

"You're right, Alpha. This is life." Her voice unfurls the inner strength she possesses.

"You protect them with your life, Luna?" Leaning my voice against her.