Stargazing

Y/N: Your Name

Quick note: I make up a story about how a planet got it's rings. I didn't do any research or look at mythology. I just made it up. I hope you don't mind, but I thought Howl telling you, the reader, a love story about the sky would be cute. Anyways, Enjoy!

Your Pov:

I glance out the window of the castle, as I dry the dishes at the sink. The sun is beginning to set over the mountains of the wastelands. The sky is a pale blue fading into gold, with purple and pink melting throughout it.

"Wow, the sunset is stunning." I hear a scoff from the fire place. "What is it Calcifer?" I look over my shoulder at him.

"It's not that great." He grumbles. "It's just the sun."

I giggle to myself. "Don't be jealous, Calcifer. You're even more beautiful than the sun, and you're an all powerful fire demon. The sun is just a ball of fire." I state, enthusiastically, to the little fire demon.

 Calcifer's cheeks burn slightly, as he hides beneath his log. "Whatever."

"Giving out complements, Starlight?" A deep silky voice drifts from the staircase. I blush lightly and turn to face Howl. "I would like mine next." There's a gentle smirk on his face, as he teases me.

"I- um," He fries my brain so easily. I can barely handle it. "I was just talking about the sky." I gesture out the widow to the sunset. 

His gaze follows my movement, and he looks out the window. "It will be dark soon." Howl notes, as he strides over to the window, observing the sky. "There are very few clouds in the sky. We should stargaze tonight."

"That sounds nice." I say, as I dry my hands, after putting away the last dish. "Should we take a blanket to lay on? Do you think Markl would like to come with us?"

"I think we should put Markl to bed, before we go out."

"Why?"

"I was hoping to have some alone time." Howl admits. It takes me a second to realize what he is saying. I blush lightly, when it hits me. Howl continues on. "If you put Markl to bed, I'll get the blanket and telescope."

I nod and walk over to the staircase. "Markl!" I call up the stairs. "Time to get ready for bed." 

"Yes, Y/N!" Markl calls down the stairs, as I start to walk up them. "Will you read me a story?" He asks, as he walks to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

"Sure, but you have to get ready for bed first." I head to my room to get a story book.

Once I put Markl to bed, I head down the stairs, ready to join Howl. I get to the bottom of the stairs and look about. The living room is empty, except for Calcifer. He gets my attention.

"Hey Y/N, Howl is outside setting up."

"Okay," I head for the door. "Thank you, Calcifer."

Howl's Pov:

Y/N heads up the stairs to go put Markl to bed. I stand next to Calcifer for a moment trying to remember where my old telescope is. "Calcifer." I look at down at him, as he eats logs in the hearth. He looks up at me, acknowledging that I addressed him. "Do you know where I put the telescope?" I ask.

He hums to himself, as he finishes a log. "You put it in the attic."

"Thank you, Calcifer."

I head up the stairs, stopping on the last step of the stairwell. I can hear Y/N scolding Markl about brushing his teeth.

"You'll get cavities, if you don't do it right."

I chuckle quietly to myself, as I use my magic to get to the attic. A hole opens in the ceiling, and the step I'm standing on raises up into the roof. I wander around the attic looking for the telescope. It takes a minute, but I find it under a white sheet. The sheet kept it from getting to dusty, but there's still some on the telescope. I use my magic to knock the remaining dust off it.

'Y/N would be cross with me, if I got dust all over the house.' I think to myself, as I rid the telescope of dust.

I take the telescope downstairs and grab a fluffy blanket out of a hall closet. Once I have my items, I head for the door. I call over my shoulder. "Calcifer, let Y/N know that I am outside, when she finishes with Markl."

"Yeah, whatever." Calcifer grumbles, as I head outside. "I'm not your errand boy." I ignore him.

I find a spot in the wasteland valleys to lay down the blanket and set up the telescope, not to far from home. A gentle breeze blows, as I point the telescope to the sky. I find a planet to show Y/N.

'I'm sure she'll like this.'

Your Pov:

I walk outside and spot Howl looking through the telescope, the moonlight reflects off of his sleek black hair. It almost make his hair luminescent. A gentle blush spreads across my cheeks as I watch him for a moment, lost in time.

'Alone time with Howl....' My heart skips a beat.

He stands up right and looks my way. I blush, lightly, as a gentle wave of his hand summons me over. I look up at him. Our eyes meet, as he smiles at me.

"I'm glad you could join me, Starlight." His voice fills the quiet night air. "Take a look through the telescope. There's a nice view of a planet."

I nod and lean down to look through the telescope. I gasp in delight, seeing a beautiful planet with rings around it. I feel an arm slip around my waist, as I look through the telescope. I tense slightly, as Howl leans down and says in my ear, "Do you like it?"

I shiver and nod. "Ye-yes." I manage to get out.

"I'm glad." He smiles at me tenderly. "There is a legend about how the planet got it's rings. Would you like to hear it?"

I nod. "I-I would like that."

Howl smiles. "Perfect. " He leads me to the blanket gingerly. "Let's get comfortable first."

I nod, speechless, as we lay down side by side, with his arm still wrapped around my waist. He pulls me closer into his side. "Long ago," He begins. I can feel his deep voice rumble in his chest as I lean against his side. I shiver slightly, as he begins his story.

"There was a young wizard who fell in love with the sky. He studied stars, comets, and planets, with a burning passion and a pure heart. His love for the sky was so great, that he attracted the attention of the Sky Goddess. She was so flattered by his pure love for her realm, that she came to earth to meet him. He instantly fell in love with her, and she too fell for him. The Goddess allowed him to use his magic to visit her realm any time he liked. The two loved each other for many years, unfortunately, the wizard was only human and fell deathly ill. The Sky Goddess had no control over human life, and was helpless to do anything for him, but stay by his side. The wizard knew his final breath was drawing near. So, he pulled the Goddess close and gave her a gentle kiss. He then enchanted her favorite planet with a beautiful ring to symbolize forever. The goddess hugged him close, as he used the last of his strength to give her something to remember him by. With his dying breath he told her, 'May you remember me, and my love for you till the end of time, I love you.' With that the wizard passed on, the Sky Goddess made the planet he enchanted the largest for all the world to see. For she didn't want anyone to forget him."

"Wow." I breathe softly as Howl finishes the story. "That's beautiful."

He smiles at me. "I would enchant the whole sky for you, my love." He says softly, as he uses his free hand to cup my cheek. I close my eyes. Howl gently kisses me on the lips under the beautiful starlit sky.