Chapter 20: Heart to Heart Cont

They walked down the halls of the great tomb of Nazarick, the npcs stopping what they were doing in order to gawk at them. Takemikazuchi was wondering where Ainz was taking him, especially after that talk they just had. 

I need to light the fire within him, there must be something that can bring back the old Takemikazuchi, thought Ainz. Well, there was something he had thought of but it pained him to think of it. He could ask Takemikazuchi to take over his Momon role but it was an escape he really enjoyed. Perhaps instead...Momon could take a small vacation, just enough to let Takemikazuchi shine and let him experience the thrill. 

It wasn't too long before they reached the treasury, where they were greeted by Pandora's Actor who seemed quite enthusiastic. After Ainz managed to subdue his fervor, the inner sanctum opened upon Ainz's command and the two ventured forth, Pandora's Actor following behind.

Ainz: "Oh right you haven't been here since I added this section, take off your guild ring Takemikazuchi."

He did so, wondering what the deal was. 

Large immobile statues lined up both sides of the walls in the room. Upon closer inspection, they bore a likeness to some of the other guild members. One in particular stood out to Takemikazuchi.

Takemikazuchi: "Is that Touch-Me?"

Ainz: "It is a golem of him that I made, yes. I've created them and equipped them with all of their original equipment."

Ainz walked a short distance and stood beneath a golem, looking up at it. "And this one is yours. You see, everyone here has earned recognition, you included. You're still a valued member of this guild, Takemikazuchi."

Takemikazuchi: "I..don't know what to say. Thank you, Ainz. Man, this really brings me back, seeing that armor and all of these weapons."

Ainz: "Well that's also why we came here. I want you to take back your equipment. This golem wasn't meant to replace you, it was just there temporarily. Now that you've returned, I intend to give you back all your belongings."

Takemikazuchi thought for a moment and looked attentively at his old weapon, the Takemikazuchi mk.8. It was a labor of love, so much time, work and money had gone into it but he felt there was something he was forgetting about it. "I'll admit some part of me looks fondly at these items, nostalgia is a powerful emotion. All of these things we accomplished in Yggdrasil was quite the adventure. But now, this isn't Yggdrasil anymore is it? I went out and saw it with my own eyes. There's a different world out there. One that we know little about."

Takemikazuchi savored a long deep breath. "And THAT'S what is exciting. Part of why I left was there just wasn't that aspect to Yggdrasil anymore. Almost everything to be seen had been. There wasn't a challenge and when playing a game that you know you can always win, it makes victory bland."

He looked up at his golem and then surveyed the room, looking at past friends, now relics of the past. "When I look at these items of mine, I see failure. For all the good they did me, I never did beat Touch-Me. I think what I need is a fresh start, starting from scratch. There's new possibilities open to me now, new skills and new abilities. If I simply walk the same path again, if I use my previously acquired wealth and power; then I cannot grow. They will become like an anchor to me. I will craft better weapons, make superior armor and become stronger."