Chapter 11: Adventurer's at Last

Ainzach made his way out of the adventurer's guild, followed closely by Theo, the guild master of the magician guild and an old friend. His friend cast a spell and suddenly, he stopped hearing the loud noise of the city and the hustle of the people walking by.

Ainzach: "Protecting against eavesdropping?"

Theo: "Yes, it's only natural considering what we'll be talking about. Slow down will you!"

Ainzach reduced his cadence to a more normal one where they could speak while walking.

Ainzach: "So, no one can hear us either? I know what you want to say but I had to buy this."

Theo: "There's a very high probability that this was stolen. You'll have to return it if it was, don't forget.It's the only reason that he could have been so eager to sell, even accepting a low offer like that!"

He had to agree, the price he paid was a contrivance for what he got in return.

Ainach: "I understand your concern old friend, I have a feeling that this is legitimate however. Feel free to look into it from your end of things as well, I'll use my connections to also check if anything resembling this was stolen."

Theo sighed and kept on the offensive.

Theo :" You know what else doesn't make sense about this whole thing? Why would someone joining the adventurers guild sell their best weapon before even registering? Surely someone this accomplished would have enough money."

Ainzach stopped for a moment in the middle of the streets, thinking about the point that Theo had brought up.

Ainzach: "Don't forget, we've had a peculiar character show up not too long ago who we also initially dismissed, Momon. He's proved to be the most dependable adventurer we can count on. I'll admit it seems a bit sketchy but he did have gold coins, unknown currency we haven't seen before. I wouldn't even be surprised if this isn't the strongest weapon he has!"

The sheer ludicrousness of that statement nearly gave Theo a heart attack. A weapon that nearly rivaled one of the Kingdom's treasure being someone's weakest weapon? Perish the thought. Theo sighed as his friend entered the merchant guild and parted ways with him.

Back at the adventurer's guild...

Valmet: "Now we need to come up with a name for our team, have any ideas?"

For someone who had named their last eight weapons after himself, creativity for naming conventions was not high on Takemikazuchi's list of priorities.

Takemikazuchi: "I'm sure you can come up with something perfectly adequate."

The other adventurers in the guild reception area pitched in.

Adventurer #1: "Red sword! Like that blade you were trying to sell."

Adventurer #2: "No, you need something meaner sounding like Blunt Force."

Adventurer #3: "Warrior's Pride sounds more professional!"

Listening to everyone's suggestions, Valmet racked his brain trying to come up with something that Takemikazuchi would like.

Valmet: "Thanks for the input everyone. It's hard to choose. I think...Red Lightning would work well, since it's the sale of that sword that helped launch our adventuring start."

Adventurer #2: "There is that group called Red Drop though."

Everyone nodded in agreement. It wouldn't do taking a name similar to another group. To Valmet's surprise, Takemikazuchi chimed in.

Takemikazuchi: "Crimson could work instead of red.."

Valmet took Takemikazuchis' suggestion to heart and filled out the rest of the application. Learning to read and write had been difficult to say the least but his teacher had insisted, often telling him how he could save a lot of money by being diligent. Valmet was glad to be finally making good use of his writing and reading skills, being a bit surprised when Takemikazuchi insisted he complete the application since he did not know the local writing script.

Satisfied, Valmet stood up to bring both their documents as well as their team's registration to the attendant. Making sure everything is in order, the attendant placed the papers in a metal lockbox and retrieved two copper plates that he handed to Valmet.

Attendant: "So here we go. Two copper plates, you two are officially adventurers and part of the team known as...Crimson Lightning."

Valmet smiled, his childhood dreams had finally come true and now would be the start of the greatest years of his life. He even had a great first teammate to work with him, others would likely follow suit soon. Already Takemikazuchi was drawing everyone's attention, it made him slightly jealous but he tried to not let it affect him. The power he witnessed him display on the road was something else. Looking over at the table where Takemikazuchi was sitting, he noticed the number of adventurers crowding him was now in the dozens.

He began approaching in order to hand Takemikazuchi his plate and so they could begin looking for jobs when he overheard what they were asking him.

Adventurer #2: "Say, you don't have anything else like that you could sell us?"

Takemikazuchi: "Ah well, not at this time, no."

Adventurer #1: "Come on, be a pal. I've got some gold too."

Valmet narrowed his eyes and readied himself to tell the adventurers to leave them alone when the door opened, followed by the guild master entering.

Ainzach: "Ah good, you two are still here. Let's go upstairs and conclude this."

Jealous adventurers mumbled under their breath how unfair it was that the guild master used his influence to get first dibs on deals like these. Valmet rolled his eyes at hearing such thoughts, silver and iron plates like them wouldn't even have the funds to cover such a purchase. Ignoring them, he proceeded to follow Takemikazuchi and the guild leader upstairs once more. Once everyone was seated, Ainzach took out a few items from a brown leather bag he carried at his waist.

Ainzach: "So first off, your registration fee is waived. Secondly, here is a writ worth 1400 gold at the merchant's guild. It's safer than carrying large sums around, you can redeem what you need and they will issue you a new updated writ. Here is the adventurer's guild writ, which can be exchanged at various adventuring supplies stores for potions or other non-combat gear. Lastly, here is the key for your room, it's a standard four bedroom suite for adventurers. The inn is called 'The Third Gate' and located near the walls."

Ainzach slid over the table 2 pieces of paper and an iron key.

Takemikazuchi looked down at what was offered and looked back up, staring down Ainzach.

Takemikazuchi: "A deal's a deal. You're short."

Ainzach: "What do you mea--oh, yes. Information and maps. We need to request maps from the merchant guild, they draw them up on demand so it may take some time. I will also be on the lookout for information that you would find useful, should it come to my attention."

Takemikazuchi looked beyond Ainzach, to the wall where a beautifully framed map was presented in a wooden frame and covered by glass.

Takemikazuchi: 'I'll take that one then."

Ainzach looked behind at his first edition framed map of the region and began sweating slightly. It wasn't worth a fortune but it had sentinel value to him. It was the map that he had used when he was but a rookie, working jobs with his teammates. He thought about it for a moment and begrudgingly accepted.

Ainzach: "That can be arranged. I will have a new map made however and we can exchange them once more once it's done, correct?"

Takemikazuchi: "I have no problem with that. Thanks, I consider this deal closed. If you'll excuse us, we have some jobs to take."

Takemikazuchi stood up, shaking the guild master's hand and then walked towards the framed map, a nervous Ainzach wringing his hands as the armored man approached his collectible.