Prologue

It has been a while since I have had this dream, but I think it might have reappeared for some reason. It's the same thing every night; I'm alone, in a kayak battered by waves, and torn apart by the storm. I am left helpless in the churning waters, without a paddle in hand. Then the kayak tips, and I am tossed into the depthless waters.

Then everything is calm, and I am lying on a rocky beach. Waves crash upon the rocks, pummeling them so much that it's amazing to see the rocks still intact. I pushed myself up from the coarse sand, and scanned the shore line. Logs and other debris littered the beach, adding to the pungent smell of seaweed. My clothes were soaking wet, insisting on clinging to my skin.

On a slimey, wet, moss-covered rock a figure sat. Its skin was an inky black, decorated with white blotches along the abdomen and around the eyes. It opened its mouth, revealing a row of conical teeth. It then spoke in a voice, nothing like that of its horrid appearence, smooth and song like. "Don't fear us. We are the same," it said calmly.

For some reason, I didn't run away. I stayed where I was, sitting on the sand, breathing in the sea air. The creature slowly moved toward me, eyeing me with its pitch, black eyes. It moved in a graceful manner, slowly edging toward me. If this hadn't been a dream, I would have gotten the hell out of there. But I stayed.

It reached out its hand, and said, "Come with me, I will show you something."

I sheepishly took its hand, which was smooth and sleek. The creature pulled me up on to my feet, and led me to the water. With no warning, it plunged into the waves, dragging me into the choppy water.

It lead me through kelp forests, passing schools of fish. Seals dove into the water, along with playful otters. Barnacles and anemones crusted the ocean floor, waving thier feathery plumage. Everywhere I looked there was something living, moving, and functioning. I was witnessing a world beyond my imagination.

And when I looked at the creature, as it lead me through the murky depths, it was no longer an alien-like being. It was an orca.