Chapter Three

"You want me to make a documentary on orcas?" I said, surprised.

Joseph smiled, examining the muffin on his desk. "It will help increase wildlife conservation and inform people about the endangered orcas of the Salish Sea."

"Is this even in our area of expertise?" I asked diffidently, trying to recover from the information.

"It doesn't matter if it is in our area of expertise. What matters is that we will make this film a masterpiece!" he retorted.

I stared at him blankly. Why did I, of all the more experienced directors, had he chosen me? I had never filmed wildlife, let alone wild, unpredictable animals. I wanted to make action films, not boring animal documentaries that probably wouldn't even make it to a film festival.

Joseph picked up the muffin on his desk, and bit into it. "Besides, you'd be getting payed a good amount."

"All of you people are putting everything on the line for this film! Isn't there someone else besides me to film the whales?" I complained, hoping that he would change his mind.

Joseph set the muffin back down on his desk. "There is, but I am asking you. You might even be able to pick up a few things."

Light filtered into the room, as the curtains moved to the hum of the fan. Maybe Jonathan is right, I thought, maybe I should try something new and see where it goes.

I then remembered my mom in the hospital, thin an frail. Her skin was a dull gray, her hair streaked with white. She had always loved orcas, believing them to have some sort of healing power on the heart and soul. I remembered how she used to collect little glass orcas, placing them in every room of the house. I would imagine myself riding on the back of one, as it led me into the stars.

"I'll do it." I said, regaining my confidence. I knew that no matter the outcome, she would always love me, as she watched over me from the heavens. I would make her proud. I tell the story of the creatures she adored.

__________________________________________________________________________________

"Kieth! Kieth!" she cried, with tears staining her cheeks, "Why did you run away?"

I stood there, clutching my bag filled with toys to my chest, crying, "You and Daddy were angry with me, and wanted me to go away." I replied.

She wrapped her arms around be, bringing her close to my chest. "We would never want you to go away!" she exclaimed, her mascara running down her cheeks, "No matter what you do, Daddy and I will always be proud of you, and love you. We will never want you to go away!"

It had been raining that day, but as she held me a rainbow was painted in the sky.