Chapter Two

"So you're saying he lost it?"Jonathan said as he stuffed his face with a hamburger. Jonathan was another director I had met when I first moved to California. He and I quickly became close friends, always eating lunch together after work.

"I heard that he was crazy and over-dramatic, but I didn't really recognize that until now," I replied. Jonathan and I were eating at a park bench, carefully eating our lunch, trying not to spill anything into our laps.

Jonathan grinned, "The true art of film-making! Maybe he should be an actor on Broadway instead of a producer."

I laughed, "Or you could be a comedian instead of a director!" Jonathan smiled, revealing his famous dimples.

"But seriously, Keith. He turned down your proposals?"

I nodded, "He said that I wouldn't be able to direct them, because it 'wasn't my story to tell'."

"Well, Thompson used to be an author."

I took a napkin and wiped my hands, "I don't understand, why wouldn't I be able to direct the films I proposed?"

A bird landed on the tree behind us. It whistled loudly into our ears, singing its merry tune. Jonathan finished the last bite of his burger, swallowing it whole. "Look, Keith. Maybe you should try a different kind of film instead of action and adventure. May be what Thompson was saying was that your strong point was a different kind of genre of a movie."

"I know, but I wanted to make action flicks."

Jonathan looked up at the sky, "Thompson believes that film-making is an art of expression, of telling a story. Maybe you should come up with something that you will be able to express more."

__________________________________________________________________________________

Tap-tap-tap, Joseph typed on the computer, responding to an important email. The email was all the way from Washington State, from the Marine Wildlife Stewardship Association. They were famous for there efforts in preserving natural wildlife in the Salish Sea and parts of the British Columbia.

"Mr. Thompson, I have some contracts that I need you to look over," his secretary, Joyce Roberts said as she entered the office.

"Joyce, just the person that I wanted to see!" Joseph replied, glancing up from the computer, "We have been asked to make a wildlife film by the MWSA."

"You mean those conservation freaks up in Washington?"

"Yes, and they're offering a good sum of money, too."

Joyce looked thrown-off by the information, "Might I ask what we'd be making the documentary about?"

"Orcas," Joseph answered enthusiastically. Joyce, however, had a confused look on her face.

"Orcas?"

"Orcas!"

Joyce bit her lip, fumbling with her glasses, "Are you sure that making a documentary on killer whales would be in the best interests for the company?"

Joseph stroked his white beard, "Honestly, I have no clue. But this is a calling to tell the story of an endangered species, and make it a piece of art!"

"I'm not sure we should be spending our time and our money on this sort of thing, Mr. Thompson." Joyce stammered clasping her hands tightly together.

Joseph nodded, "We may be able to pull this off with one man, or at least a small crew."

Joyce hesitantly inclined, "Whatever you think is in the best interests for the com-"

He shook his head, "No, this is in the best interests for the orcas, as well as the world!"

___________________________________________________________________________________