Ch 19: Familiar Routines

CPOV

Public speaking really wasn't my thing, and yet here I stood on a podium addressing the whole of St. Vladimir's school. However, my nervousness soon faded, and my irritation grew. It felt as if I was going in circles, hearing the same push back over and over from different students.
The same old story of being too afraid or it being inhumane to use their power for destruction rather than growth. A few dhampires just felt uncomfortable with the thought of fighting alongside their charges.

"Doesn't this go against everything we're taught? Where does that leave dhampires if the moroi the can now fight for themselves? What is the point of guardians?" asked a bespectacled dhampire boy. I exhaled deeply from my nose, "There will always be a need for guardians," I said to the crowd of students in the bleachers. "As long as strigoi exist, the need for guardians will always be present. The idea of moroi using our magic offensively is to give us an advantage in a war against the strigoi. An advantage that we have forgotten about but desperately need."

"The moroi are a powerful race with a gift unlike any other. Each element can be used to our advantage, and this combined with the physical strength of the dhampires, we would no longer be vulnerable to the strigoi." There was still an uncertain buzz among the students and faculty. "Why should we listen to you when your own parents turned?" Shouted a moroi girl. My ears burned at her remark, and the murmurs of agreement spread throughout the crowd, but I kept my voice hard and steady despite my thumping heart. "Because I know first hand what it feels like to watch the people you love die because of strigoi. I know what it feels like to have lost because of their hunger and inhumanity. They will stop at nothing, and they are getting stronger every day."

"The fact is," my voice rang out, "we're a dying race." The crowd hushed. I saw Rose approaching the crowd after leaving Sophie at the primary school. "And guardians simply aren't enough to keep us safe anymore. Look around you," I said.
"Look at how little dhampires are around. Why do you think that is?" I asked rhetorically. "Dhampires are tired of sacrificing their lives for moroi who refuse to protect themselves. We can not sit around and allow ourselves to become sitting ducks simply waiting for our turn. If we don't prepare ourselves now, we can basically kiss our lives goodbye."

An echo of silence spread across the crowd. The reality of the situation settled over everyone. Slowly, each student stood to sign their name to join the course.
"New timetables will be distributed to accommodate the new lesson plan. For now, you are dismissed to your first lesson," said the headmistress, and the crowd dispersed.
I felt a rush of relief wash over me as I walked down from the podium. I honestly just wanted to crash on my bed, but there was still much more to do. Lessons were to begin at the end of the day, which meant we had a lot of planning to do.
"That must have been exhausting," said Aunt Tasha when I approached her.
"You have no idea."
"Oh, believe me, I do," she said, resting her hands on her hips. "I have spent a good portion of my life trying to convince those snobbish royals to allow magic. I'm glad to finally see the day we can properly teach it in schools. We've come a long way," she said, coming to wrap an arm around me. "If only it didn't take things being this serious for it to be so." It felt strangely nostalgic. Before I was so short, I would always stand in front of her as she draped her arms over my shoulder as I rested my head on her stomach. Now she just barely reached my shoulder.
I pulled her closer to me and hugged her. She seemed surprised but returned the gesture. "What's this for?" she asked. I shrugged my shoulder and walked off. I heard her mumbled silly boy behind me, and I laughed.
I hadn't told Rose this, but I had missed my aunt. She was the only family I had and had basically been a mother to me. Being away from her, all those years hurt more than I realized. I had missed my mother, and it was nice having her back in my life. Even though it got off to a rocky start.

The team and I scheduled to meet a little later since most of the guardians that came along with us took up shifts guarding the campus. They were already short staffed, so the extra hands were much appreciated. I had an hour free and since I missed breakfast I went to the cafeteria. A hall that usually would be filled with noise and activity was deserted with all the students in their classes. I was heading for the food trays when an idea popped into my mind. I took a beeline to a room next to a large painting of a bowl of fruit on the wall.

Inside, there were five humans sitting in the room separated by a sheet of curtain. They all had the same dreamy look on their faces, having gotten their latest fix from the breakfast rush. A middle-aged moroi woman stood by the door with a clipboard at hand. "Lord Ozera, it's good to see you again."
"Likewise Kathy. I haven't made an appointment, but since I was free, I thought I could come by for a quick bite?" I asked kindly.
"Of course. Anna over there at stall D should be good," she said, pointing to a young feeder, probably around thirty or so. I went to the woman and sat down. Her lips curled in a goofy smile, "I've never seen you before."
"No, but I think you'll be seeing much more of me," I said, taking a seat closer to her. "Always happy to have more of you come visit," said Anna, tipping her head to the side and giving me good access to her bruised neck. I hadn't fed of a human in more than a year. Blood bags were my only form of sustenance other than normal human food. Feeding off those cold, tasteless bags was one of few reasons why I disliked living among humans. It was easy to come across a few human junkies who were willing to get their next fix from moroi saliva, but that would expose us more easily since we weren't only hiding from strigoi but also the moroi officials.

Staring at her pulsing veins, I hadn't noticed my mouth start to water. I pierced into her skin and drew in the warm liquid. It was delicious. I forgot how amazing fresh blood tasted. I closed my eyes and savored the vermilion goodness. Not long, I pulled away and wiped my mouth with the tissues next to the table. Anna laid her head back while Kathy came in to tend to her. I gave my thanks and went to get something small to eat before meeting with the rest. On my way out, I saw Lissa leaving the chapel.
"Still a believer?" I asked, gesturing towards the church. She was a little surprised to see me but came towards me anyway. "Yes, I am. I take it you're still not?"
"You know that higher power bullshit never sat well with me," I said, taking a bite of the pear I took.
"But you still spent a lot of your time in the church."
I smiled at the memory, "Yes, but you knew why I did. I don't think I need to prove I'm not like my parents anymore."
"Yeah, I guess not." We began walking together in silence. Her, walking with her head down, stealing quick glances at me, probably wondering why I was talking to her. Me, chewing loudly and enjoying her obvious discomfort.

"You can relax. I'm not going to attack you," I said to her. "I know," she said quickly, then blushing. "Rose and I made up."
"Didn't you do that years ago?"
"Well, yes, but we did properly on the flight over here. I... I missed her," she said softly.
I nodded, taking a big bite of the pear. "She missed you too," I said with my mouth full.
"I still kick myself for being so selfish back then," said Lissa.
"And stupid," I added.
"Yeah. That, too. I was a huge jerk to her."
"I know."
"To you too," she said softly. She stopped walking. When I turned to look at her, she wouldn't meet my eyes. "I'm so sorry, Christian. For everything. I was a spoiled brat, and I didn't appreciate how much you meant to me. I was childish and silly and..."
"And?" I asked.
"And I was very wrong," she sighed.
"Yes, you were," I said, folding my arms. "You were unbelievably immature and selfish. You didn't care about anyone but yourself, and you hurt the two people who loved you the most. I was mad at you, Lissa, for the longest time. It used to hurt just thinking about you."
"I'm so sorry, Christian," whispered Lissa, her eyes shimmering with tears. "I am so, so sorry."

I turned my back to her, and although she tried to quieten herself, I still heard her little sobs. "I'm tired, Lissa. Of being angry and hurt. I don't want to hold onto this any longer. I can't anymore." I turned around to look at her. "I forgive you, Lissa."
"Really?" she said timidly.
"Yes. Despite how much I'd like to deny it, I missed you too." She let out a breathy laugh, and so did I. "Before all this mess, we were friends, and maybe it wouldn't be so terrible to try and be friends again. What do you say?"
"I'd love that," she smiled, drying her tears with the back of her hand.
"Great cause I'd prefer working with friends rather than "emotional ex girlfriends"." She laughed outright at this. "Still as snappy as ever," she commented. "I have been living with Rose," I said.
Her smile was slightly faulted, but she kept a brave face. "Yes, yes, you have."
"Sofia is a beautiful little girl, congratulations. You and Rose are very blessed."
"Thank you, Lissa," I said, giving her a light hug. She held onto me a beat longer before letting go. She quickly wiped a tear away, which I pretended not to see. "C'mon, let's go meet the other."