Ch 12: Peace Providers

CPOV

I was slightly nervous about going back to court. We were going to leave the next day which gave us very little time to prepare. I guess that was the whole point of it really, catching us off guard. To be honest I wasn't sure I was ready to go back to court but like James said we really didn't have a choice.

It's was nice being away from all of the drama and politics. I enjoyed living my life away from the stigma of my parents sin and royal status. I liked just being Christian. Not Christian Ozera, son of the disgraced royals who turned strigoi. Not Christian Ozera, the freak who set people on fire or even Christian Ozera, the boyfriend of Princess Vasilissa Dragomir. Speaking of Lissa, I wasn't sure how to feel about seeing her again. I haven't seen her since graduation. After everything that happened with Rose and Avery, I realized I couldn't keep making excuses for her. I knew it was the darkness, however that darkness was something that was always inside of her. It was just triggered by spirit.

Rose felt very guilty about how things ended with both of us. I think maybe she still does. She blamed herself and tried so hard to get me back with Lissa. But I couldn't do it. We lost something that day and whether or not she changed, it was never going to be the same between us.
She knows about Sofia too. She found out because of court gossip. Apparently news got around of the infamous Rose Hathaway having a child and she immediately called me for confirmation.

"Christian, is it true?"
"Lissa is that you?" I asked completely confused. I hadn't heard from her for almost a year but once the phone rang, Rose ran into my room.

"I was just with lissa," said Rose. "She just found out about Sophie and she thinks she's yours."

"Christian please tell me its not true."
I decide to play dumb and pretended to be oblivious.
"What are you talking about?" I asked innocently.
"I'm talking about Rose having a child!" She screams.
"Why are you asking me. Shouldn't you be asking her?"
"Because I just want to know if you're the father."
"Wow Liss. Even after all time, you're still that selfish girl. Instead of wanting to congratulate your best friend on having a child, you want to know if it's mine."
"Its not like tha-" Before she could finish I cut the call, too annoyed to even bother hearing her pathetic excuse.
Rose stood there silently. I didn't know what to say to her, but I didn't need to because she just turned around and left the room. She had been quite for the rest of the day until late that night I heard the phone ring again. It was Rose's cell and it was Lissa on the other end.
They were on the phone for more than two hours, but by the end of it Rose was quietly crying in her room.
"What did she want?" I asked.
"She apologised."
"For?" I asked sitting down next to her on the couch.
"Everything. About us, about Dimitri, about you. Just everything."
"And did you forgive her?" She nodded and took a deep breath. "It was spirit and the darkness. It began taking over her and I felt it. As much as I try to block her out, I felt that darkness inside her. Every teardrop, every raging storm, I felt it all. And I felt her sincerity now. I don't think we could ever be like we used to, but this peace I feel now is better than that bitterness that was once between us."

"I'm glad things are better now. What did she say about Sophie?" That really was the only thing that interested me. Not that I didn't care about Rose and Lissa's relationship, but Sophie was my main concern."When I tried telling her about her father she cut me off. Apparently she doesn't care if you are the father or not. As long as we both happy. She did ask to meet her but I said no. It's too soon and I don't fully trust her yet. She understood. She did ask for a picture. I said yes to that."
"Sounds like things could be getting better."
"Yes it does."