Ch 4: Changes

RPOV

It's been over a month since Dimitri has left and things have seriously changed around the academy. Ever since he left Alberta has become my new mentor. She was an amazing Guardian and a great role model but it wasn't the same. For one, the relationship wasn't the same. She tried to be supportive and caring but she was first and foremost a guardian. She wasn't a friend, she wasn't Dimitri.

The arrival of a new student at St. Vlad's had everyone, especially Lissa under her spell. Avery Lazar had managed to bring out every single one of Lissa's dark emotions. She her into a totally different person. She became wild, arrogant and honestly, complete bitch. She did many horrible things but the worst was done to Christian. Their relationship had been rocky ever since that day of our fight but it got pushed over the edge when Christian caught her making out with her ex boyfriend. Truth be told, she was rude and distant with him well before that but the kiss was the final nail in the coffin for him. What's worst is she didn't even realise what she did was wrong. She was so hypnotized that nothing really mattered to her. Not school, not Christian and definitely not me.
I tried my best to help her even with Lissa pushing me away. So I started working from a distance. With some help from Adrian I found out that Avery was in fact a spirit user like Lissa and was secretly compelling her and bringing these things out of her. Long story short, Adrian and I stopped her before she could kill Lissa. And if you thought that made shit better between us, think again. She was still distant and outwardly cold as ever towards me.

It didn't improve things with Christian either. He still wanted nothing to do with her while she was too stubborn to apologize. Even with me trying to persuade him to talk to her, he refused to budge.

"I don't get why you are so adamant on me talking to her when she's the one who has been treating you like crap," he said as he worked the punching bag. We were busy with one of our (now regular) workout sessions.
"I know that things aren't great with us but I don't like seeing her suffer.  She is my best friend. Was my best friend" I corrected.
"I don't care. I can't not hear or un-see the things she did. She hurt me Rose and I'm tired of trying to reason with her or give excuses for her actions. What's done is done and you need to accept that."
Maybe he's right. It is his life and I saw the things she did to him. I saw his face through her eyes when she would insult and hurt him. He felt true pain from her. Regardless of how I felt towards Lissa, the things she did to Christian was harsh. And why should I care anyway? Lissa made it clear she wanted nothing to do with me. In fact she made it publicly clear she wanted Eddie to be her official Guardian instead of me. So why should I bother?

Just then I felt my tummy feel uneasy. It was a similar feeling like when I'm around Strigoi but this was a little different. Suddenly I was sprinting towards the bathroom to throw up. This was the third time this week I've thrown up. Something must be wrong since dhampires hardly ever get sick.
"Rose, are you okay in there?" Called Christian from outside the bathroom.
"I don't know. I think I need to go to the nurse's room," I told him.
"Okay I'm coming with you" he tells me.
"No it's okay. Carry on here, I'll see you later."
"You sure?"
"Yes, don't worry," I tell him as I make my way to the infirmary.

When I get there I ask the receptionist if I can meet with the doctor. Not even five minutes later I'm called in.
"So what seems to be the problem with my favourite patient today?" Asks Dr Olendski with a smile.
"I'm not really sure. I've been throwing up a lot lately. Maybe it's the cold or something" I tell her.
"Well let's run some tests so we can be one hundred percent sure."
After a while she comes back. "Well Rose you're not sick that's for sure."
Thank goodness. The last thing I needed is to be sick. Especially now with graduation only a few days away.
"That's great. So what was wrong with me? I mean I couldn't have been feeling like this for nothing."
"From what these say" said the doctor looking at some sheets, "you're four weeks pregnant Rose. Congratulations," says the doctor.
I'm what?
"You're pregnant?" Ask a very shocked fire user behind me.