chapter 4: maria

so far Zilla has discovered his new home which soon he may have to fight for. but let's take a step back from monster island and introduce you to the people of this story (super excited? don't be, I suck at writing people characters). Maria was a 24-year-old girl living on her own. her life was going pretty well she had graduated from university at the top of her class which would help her get the job she was applying for. in university, she had taken all the math, history, science, and biology classes. you were required to get a mark of 90+ in each to get a job as a researcher at monarch. ever since she saw that these monsters were real it was her dream to admire and research them. now she was applying to be a trainee which was her first step toward her dream. after she had submitted her application she had some spare time on her hands. she decided to head outside and go for a walk. at the time Maria lived in an apartment building in Toronto Canada (remember that for later it may be important). her entire family was Canadian and she loved it there. at the time she was a photographer, not a professional one but one that could pay their taxes which is all a person can ask for. as she continued to walk she put in her earbuds and played her favorite song. she got back home about an hour later to make some lunch.

a few days later maria woke up to just an average new day, she made breakfast, ate breakfast, and brushed her teeth. after done with that she checked her email to quite a shock. monarch had responded to her application.

Maria,

We have been awaiting your application for quite some time now and are happy to have it finally arrived. some of our application managers predicted you would send one due to your grades and where you graduated. and of course, since you fit the requirements we would be happy to fly you over here along with other people who have applied. you will be flown over to castle bravo on Thursday at 6 pm not a moment before and not a moment later.

sincerely- dave the applications manager.

Maria was shocked, she knew for a fact she would get the job but never in a thousand years did she think she would be at castle bravo, the outpost where they monitored Godzilla! it was currently Wednesday and Maria began to pack immediately. every essential she would need. when Thursday finally arrived words could not describe how nervous yet excited she was. once she arrived at the airport a group of people waited for her by the boarding area. one was dressed in a nice suit, the others were heavily armed and the rest were dressed like regular people. she assumed the regular-looking ones were also people being hired because who else would they be. she walked over to the group to be introduced.

Hi, I'm professor Connors the suited man said, and I expect you are Maria Williams, correct? uh yes, that's me Maria said. Great! your the last one we are waiting for, Connors said. I'd like you to meet our friends who were hired along with you, there is Micheal, the one who is paying attention, Jessica the blonde one who probably isn't paying attention, then there is jake and Kennedy who can't take a break from each other, and then, of course, our wonderful soldiers who are making sure nobody shoots at us, and everyone this is maria. the only person who actually said hi was Micheal. alright, our flight is waiting outside, let's get moving.

they board the plane which was mostly like a cargo plane. alright everyone strap we are in for a long ride. Jessica sighed very loudly when she heard this news. eventually, they arrived at what looked like an oil rig, this was castle bravo the powerhouse of monarch. welcome to castle bravo, titan observatory and research center Connors said. Jessica looked as if she had seen better. this almost angered maria but it angered Connors more. Jessica, you can get back in the water and swim back if this isn't good enough for you Connors said. jessica ignored every last word. it must have been family ties that's the only way mumbled Connors.

they continued the tour of their new workplace eventually leading to their dormitories. sleep here, we'll discuss working arrangements tomorrow. silence was bestowed upon the room for the next 10 minutes until Michael finally asked: so how did everyone get the job? family ties Jessica answered. this put Kennedy and jake into an unstoppable barrage of laughter. what, what's so funny? jessica asked. oh, you would've had to be listening to get it Kennedy exclaimed hysterically. whatever Jessica said without a care. I got the job by assisting monarch in the cleanup of 2024 Kennedy and jack said almost in sync. i got the job in just the regular education way, maria said in a shy tone of voice. oh really same, I'm surprised more people didn't Michael replied. after some chatting everyone went to bed at around standard teenage times excited for what tomorrow holds.

how long has it been since I updated this story gawd dayum. as per usual if there's anything I should improve on comment on this area. I've just been really busy with school and recovering any will to live I have left and expanding on it as much as I can. it's weird that the few people actually reading this are the first to know about my mental state.... huh. however all that aside I've had a massive spike in stories I want to make in the time that has passed like for example my own spider person, a completely new spooky type of hero, and an idea about being locked in a large high school with evil robot recreations of the staff hunting you and your friends down. that's been an idea for a video game I want to make for a while but coding isn't my strong suit. if any of those sound interesting then let me know, if you can I remember almost nothing about wattpad. anyway, hope you read the next chapter when it comes out probably next year.