love is fake

*BREAKING NEWS*
"a 16 year-old girl has gone missing off the coast of ******* after an accident on a yacht between hours 4 and 5pm. it is believed that the individuals aged between 15 and 18 present on the yacht at the time were unsupervised in holding a birthday party. an investigation is being launched to try to relocate the missing teen. we will report any further updates. this is ABC news."

i had arrived at least half an hour ago, and still ezra hadn't payed even the slightest lick of attention to me. this party totally sucked. he barely invited anyone, but why? the yacht was so huge he could've invited at least 10 more people, and maybe could've also invited another female who wasn't just his second cousin that couldn't formulate a single english sentence.

the food was alright actually, ezra's parents were total health freaks so there wasn't burgers or pizza or anything, but the fruit salad was seriously out of this world - - it tasted so fresh and there was plenty of halloumi so i was kept happy for the time being. also there was a self-service smoothie machine that was often busy but i had two smoothies and they were amaze so it was worth it.

i went on a look for the toilet and as i wandered inside the main part of the yacht, i walked past ezra. he was wearing an expensive red polo shirt with some smart-looking swimming trunks and he had some sunglasses propped up on his head.
"hiya," i said with a brief smile, swooping right past him. i thought he'd just completely blank me like he'd been doing for the entire rest of the party, but he suddenly choked up a "w-wait!"

my head spun round to look at him,
"Y/N," he said, coming closer, "where are you going?"
"oh.. just the toilet.. haha," i replied, awkwardly, preparing to shoot off again.
"ah, i'll show you where it is," he said, smiling kindly
"oh, thank you," i smiled in return, then followed him down a small staircase into what seemed like the bottom of the yacht.

there was a door. he opened it, and inside a medium-sized room was a double-bed and another door leading into a presumed on-suite bathroom. i thought to myself how inconvenient it must be to whoever this room belonged to, as the party guests would have to come in their room every time they needed to relieve themselves.
"it's just that door on the left," he said to me, standing in the doorway and nodding in the direction of the toilet.
"thanks," i responded gratefully again, then making my way across the bedroom to the lavatory.

i finished my business and left, expecting to see ezra gone as i came out into the bedroom, but he was sat down the end of the bed, the bedroom door was shut and he looked sort-of timid which was unusual for ezra who was normally cocky and egotistical.
"hey.. um, Y/N," he began, turning to face me. his eyes were normally narrowed and intimidating but now they'd widened, i could fully see his pretty tapioca pearl irises. they were so dark, and they glittered, god, even his eyes were just so perfect and unreal.

".. you know jake?" he asked, looking up at me.
"mhm," i came up close to him, to show him he had my full attention.
"you two aren't... you know.." he seemed awkward,
"going out?" i guessed
"are you..?"
"oh, no!" i chuckled, "no, we're not, i'm not interested in him,"
"oh okay," ezra smiled. "are you interested in anyone?" he asked me.
"uhhh-" i stammered, thinking - 'YOU!!!! I'M SO CRAZILY INTERESTED IN YOU IT'S UNBELIEVABLE.'
"are you interested in me?"

after ezra said that, i felt like i literally didn't have legs. i was immediately flushed with a wave of heat and my heart started beating profusely.
"w-hat's the right answer? " i stuttered
"well," ezra blushed, "i'd like a yes,"
"... yeah," i exhaled, shyly meeting his gaze, "yeah i like you.. a lot,"
"forreal?!" he exclaimed, with a bewildered smile on his face. i nodded, blushing a little. he grinned, then pat the spot next to him on the bed, "come here,".
i did as he said and gently sat myself down next to him. then, suddenly, he embraced me.

first it was the shock, and the trying to register what had just happened, then the realising what had just happened and then further realising what this all meant. his arms were wrapped around me, i was shrouded completely in him, his wide upper form covered me, and his scent was even closer than ever before. i could see the tiny beauty mark on his neck, i could hear his soft breathing next to my ear. i felt the palms of his hands flat out on my back and i felt warmth from every direction. it was almost like i was experiencing heaven.

hesitantly, i moved my arms slowly up underneath his, to hug him back. his shoulders were so broad and also felt toned. what a privilege this was. i felt the cold metal of the necklace dangling from his neck touch mine, such a new sensation.

he gently pulled away to re-establish eye contact and then we just stared into each others' eyes for what felt like a prolonged time, but in actuality, was mere seconds. it was so surreal- then, unexpectedly, he broke the connection between us with a sigh, flopping his head to look down. his hair swung in front of his eyes and he exhaled deeply again as he ran both hands through his hair at the same time.
"Y/N?"
"yeah?" i responded quietly,
"don't tell anyone about us,"
my heart suddenly sank at his words.. what did he mean? and why? i couldn't speak.

BANG! the bedroom door swung open, and in the doorway stood the only other female invited to the party, his cousin - who seemed utterly furious. she took one look at me began mouthing off on ezra in mandarin, spitting everywhere and practically screaming at the top of her lungs. ezra looked beyond uncomfortable, he attempted to respond in mandarin but she kept shouting over him so he couldn't get a word in edgeways.

i stood up and prepared to leave, thinking they would talk it out privately, but she turned right round to me and marched across the bedroom to grab me roughly by my throat. to say the least, i was terrified.

ezra raised his voice and stood up, but he didn't even attempt to restrain his cousin, he just watched, eyes wide, and shouted at her in a language i couldn't understand. tears began to form in my ducts as she gripped my neck with fury, refusing to let go even as i whimpered. the young woman trailed off mid-way through speaking as ezra was shouting at her, and she got off of me all of a sudden. she just glared into my eyes, as if staring into my soul. SMACK
she slapped me clean across the face.

silence blared in the secluded room. ezra's cousin was huffing, her eyes still burning. she whipped out an arm and grabbed me once again - this time by the wrist, then proceeded to tear her way up the stairs, almost ripping my arm from it's joint in my shoulder in the process.

ezra screamed some phrase or word in mandarin and then followed us up the stairs, but i felt he didn't seem as upset as he should've been. he sort of fell into a paced jog as he chased his mental cousin out into the open area of the yacht. i didn't understand why he refused to stop her, he just wasn't enthusiastic enough. were his feelings truly genuine? well, even then.. what kind of person was he to allow me to be subjected to unprovoked violence anyway?

sunlight broke my vision as i was hauled onto the open deck by my forearm. ezra's male friends awkwardly turned to watch, drinks in hand, as if it was all a special display for their entertainment. ezra's cousin repeatedly manhandled me, grasping me aggressively by the shoulders and staring into my eyes with an almost demonic expression of rage covering her face. why? how? i thought. i just wanted to enjoy the birthday party. was this a test of how much i deserved to be with ezra? why did she want to hurt me so much?

"help me!" i shouted, much quieter than i intended, "ezra, please,"
ezra looked on, a picture of shock, he was nothing but a bystander, along with his friends. "ezra," i turned to look at him, "i love you," i said, trying my utmost best to smile at the boy.

a piercing shriek erupted in my eardrums. ezra's cousin had reached her final phase of anger. she carted me towards the edge of the deck, pushing me up against the rails.
the water beneath throffed and spat out white waves where the current was most rough. the water was definitely not safe - i had to escape, the woman was insane. party guests gasped as i cried out in pain from being forced up against the metal poles, but none took action. why wouldn't anyone take responsibility? my life was at stake.

it was their failure to react in time, ezra's inability to challenge his cousin or choose simply not to invite her in the first place. the crazy woman took my legs and launched me head-first off of the yacht, down into the crushing force of fighting water.
it was the end for me. everything went black. i didn't even have time to hold my breath before i was plunged into a treacherous undercurrent. this was it. i prepared to die.