Chapter 19

It is now the next morning. The Rhodes are leaving today after breakfast. I call Martha, she helps me get dressed and I head downstairs (thank you very much to the person that corrected me and educated me abt life in the 1800's!! I've implemented the new info! I truly appreciate it 🙏🏼). As I'm walking down the hallway of the second floor I hear footsteps behind me that eventually catch up to me. Archibald stands next to me walking with me. Silence fills the air between us. Uncomfortable silence. I want to apologize but I don't know what good that'll do or how I should even start. We keep walking silently. I realized we're reaching the main staircase very soon and I won't be able to apologize after that so I need to do it now.

"Hey, um... I wanted to talk-" I say but he quickens his pace and goes down the main staircase.

I sigh, this wasn't what I was expecting but I understand. I walk downstairs and sit with my family and the Rhodes. We wake small talk about the weekend that they stayed, how it was spending time together...

"You and Archibald spent quite a lot of time together, isn't that right Odette?" asks my father.

"Uh- yes that's correct," I say.

"I reckon you guys have gotten closer, right?" he asks.

Archibald chuckles, "you have no idea," he says stabbing his food with his fork, "I got to meet new sides of Odette I had never seen before."

I look at him and he stares at me. Both of our parents look at each other.

"That's great to hear," says Mrs. Rhodes smiling.

I swear, do they not notice the uncomfortable air? Do they not notice the tone Archibald talked in or the way he's staring at me? If looks could kill I'd be dead on the floor. We finish eating and the table gets cleaned up. Martha gets the Rhodes stuff from upstairs and we're at the door saying our farewells.

Archibald's P.O.V:
We're all at the door saying our goodbyes and see-you-soons. We live about half an hour away by carriage so, as much as I wish, it's not like we're never seeing them again. Well, I don't hate the Darlington just Odette. Yes, I was still a bit upset about that. It might not seem like a big deal, but to me it is, so don't tell me what I can and can not be upset about. Mrs. Darlington hugs me and I hug her back.

"We hope to see you back soon, Archie," she says in her soft voice.

"Thank you, it was a pleasure staying here," I reply.

"We'll see you soon, you've grown into a fine gentleman, Archibald," says Mr. Darlington.

"Thank you sir, I've tried," I respond.

Odtte's P.O.V:
"It was amazing seeing you Oddie, you've grown into such a beautiful young woman, I hope to see you soon," says Mrs. Rhodes pulling me into her warm embrace.

"I'm sure we will eventually," I say hugging her back.

It's not like they lived hours away, though I understand why they'd think they would see us for a while. The last time they saw me I was about fifteen or sixteen. Our families planned to get together multiple times, but life always seemed to get in the way and we never did.

Mr. Rhodes shakes my hand and I shake his, "pleasure seeing you again, Ms. Darlington," he says.

"Likewise," I say.

Now I just have to say goodbye to Archibald in front of our parents without giving away that we hate each other, now more than ever.

Archibald's P.O.V:
I have to say goodbye to Odette. I really don't want to, but it would be disrespectful to ignore her in front of her parents.