1. SIN

"This happened on such short notice," Draven muttered. "If they called sooner to let me know I might have had time to get things set up."

I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes but remained silent. There wasn't much I could say to him that would change things. The Omega Centre told me that he had been listed as my guardian. It wasn't like I had anybody else around.

My mother was dead and my father had disappeared from the face of the earth a week before she died. I was an unclaimed Omega with no family, deserted in a small town where most of them apparently dislike me for some reason.

"Shit, I need to call Lauren to let her know," he muttered.

Swallowing, I focused my attention on the passing scenery. It was a small town basically in the middle of nowhere with few shops and even less houses surrounded by ranches for mile. The Omega Centre was located just on the outskirts of town, newly build and fully functioning. The centre had been my home for nine years and now they wanted me gone.

I was being thrown into a world I had only learned about while living at the centre. The thought of being out in the open, surrounded by Alphas filled me with fear. I had only ever been around Omega's and Beta's with the few occasions where the centre tried to find me an Alpha.

Thinking about the Alpha's made me remember what my doctor had told me a week ago when I went for my annual check-up. My heat was going to hit soon and in order to make it through it, I needed an Alpha.

"Do you need anything?" Draven asked me. "You don't have a lot of things."

I shook my head. I didn't need anything else at the moment, not clothes anyway. What I needed was a place to stay where I could hide away the moment my heat hit. Preferably somewhere far away from Alphas.

My eyes darted over to the man in the front of the car. Not all Alphas were bad, I knew that. Draven had rescued me when I was twelve but he had always been careful to respect my boundaries. That was something I couldn't say about the other Alphas I met at the Omega Centre.

The car slowed and then turned off onto a quiet street with double-story houses on either side. Green laws, beautiful gardens and a few high walls. A fancy neighbourhood, nothing like the place where we used to live when before we started moving around.

He stopped the car in front of a big black metal gate and leaned forward to search for something in the glove box. Muttering under his breath, he sat up and then leaned out the window to press a button on the box-thing that stood a few inches next to the car.

There was a low sound, and a few minutes later that gates began to open. We started moving again. My eyes darted up to stare at the branches of the tall trees we passed until we reached the end of the drive.

I certainly wasn't expecting the house to be so big.

"Here we are." Draven parked the car behind a sleek silver one and glanced over his shoulder at me. "We don't have any animals."

Swallowing, I hesitated a moment before I climbed out of the car. I glanced at Draven who was busy pulling my bags from the back of the car, and then turned my attention to the house.

It was bigger than the other house on the block. The garden was colourful and well taken care of, but from what I knew of Draven and his family, I could bet that someone other than them took care of things.

"Come on."

I clutched the hem of my shirt as I followed him up the steps to the front door. My heartbeat increased the closer we got to it. Meeting new people was something I hated. I was comfortable with those I already knew because I knew whether I could trust them or not.