⁰⁰'

⁰⁰' | ᴍᴀʀʀɪᴀɢᴇ ᴀʟʟɪᴀɴᴄᴇ

April 1465, Ireland

A young man is walking down the long halls of the castles, a letter in hand. He stopped and stood before a large wooden double door. Knocking three times before hearing a voice from the other side say, "Come in."

The young man opened the door and led himself inside revealing King James II of Ireland sitting behind a large desk that was covered with paperwork. The young man walked up a few steps before stopping and bowing to the King, "Your Grace, this letter has come today. It has an English seal."

James lifted his head when the young man said, 'English seal'. He motioned him to come forward and hand him the letter, "Thank you, Edmund. You may now leave."

Edmund bowed and left after giving the King the letter, closing the double doors behind him.

James opened the letter as soon as Edmund left and starts to read the contents written inside. Moments later, a young beautiful red-head woman entered his study, Queen Matilda I of Ireland. James haven't heard his queen enter was startled by her voice, "What has you in deep thoughts, my love?"

"Nothing much, my dear. Do you need anything?" James tried to change the topic. Hoping his wife would not notice, but that was only a wishful thought.

"Don't go trying to change the subject, James. I know you better that anyone. What is really bothering you that you haven't noticed me enter your study,"

James sighed knowing he couldn't get anything passed his wife, "As you know England has been at war against each other for a few years now and there is a new crowned King now." Matilda nodded motioning him to go on, " The new King, King Edward IV of England has written to me. He wants an alliance with us, with Ireland to secure his position to the English throne."

"What kind of alliance has King Edward proposed?" Matilda asked.

"He has proposed a marriage alliance between his brother George, Duke of Clarence and our daughter, Mary." James stated carefully. Knowing his wife wouldn't agree to this idea.

"Are you sure this is a good idea? A marriage alliance with England could destroy us, James. If we are not careful. Not including that the Duke of Clarence is just like the King, but more power hungry. I will not let you marry our daughter to that man you mark my words." Matilda angrily said.

"Matilda, please calm down, my love. I'm sorry but I have made up my mind. I will accept this alliance." James said. He stood up from his position to go to his wife and comfort her by gently grabbing her hands.

Matilda sighed. She knew she can't change her husband's mind now, "Then at least don't let our daughter marry George."

James opened his mouth to say something, but he was cut off by his wife, "Just hear me out. Instead of George, let our daughter marry Richard, Duke of Gloucester. He is the youngest brother of the King and the same age as Mary. They will have enough time to get to know each other and for you to teach Richard the customs of Ireland. So, when the day comes Richard and Mary will know how to rule Ireland as equals like you and I do."

James thought for a moment of what his wife had just proposed to him. He did in fact planned to marry their daughter to Richard instead of George, but he wasn't going to tell his wife that, "Very well, my dear. We'll do it your way."

"Thank you." Matilda softly said. She then proceeded to give him a kiss on his lips to show her gratitude and love towards him. Matilda pulled back after a few minutes and smiled, "I must tell Mary about her brothel to Richard."

"Go ahead, my queen. I will send our envoy to England for the Queen's Coronation to tell the news to King Edward personally." James explained. Matilda hummed in agreement and left shortly leaving her husband to plan the voyage from Ireland to England for their Envoy.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

      Outside the grand castle was a garden maze surrounded by different bushes of flowers that shows the beauty of the country of Ireland

      Outside the grand castle was a garden maze surrounded by different bushes of flowers that shows the beauty of the country of Ireland. A place of peace and always filled with laughter from the Royal Family.

A young girl of age thirteen ran around the garden enjoying the company from her friends playing with her. The young girl was gifted with blue eyes from her father, and light brown hair with a hint of red in them from her mother and father mixed perfectly together.

"Mary, sweetie come here!" A voice yelled from the other side of the garden. The young girl, Mary turned at the direction being called revealing her mother calling her. She smiled brightly at her mother and ran to her.

Stopping in front of her mother, the Queen, and curtsied, "Lady Mother."

Lifting her head, she smiled brightly again and hugged her mother, "Are you well, mama?"

"I'm fine, my darling." Matilda responded with a smile of her own. She pulled back from the hug and tried to fix her daughter's hair but having no luck she gave up. She hooked her arm with her daughter's, and started to walk around the garden maze, "There is something I need to discuss with you, Mary."

Noticing the serious tone in her mother's voice she knew immediately what this was about, "Is this about my marriage, mama?"

Matilda was shocked her daughter knew what she was about to tell her, but it shouldn't have come as much of a surprise as she was wise for her age. Matilda quickly recovered and gently said, "I'm afraid so. You are to be married a week after your fifteen birthday."

"I knew this day would come eventually. It's my duty as the Princess of Ireland to marry for my country and my people. I know I will eventually have love in my marriage as I want it to work, like you and papa." Mary gently said. She stopped at the edge of the cliff at the end of the garden and looked out into the horizon where the sun and the sea meet. She felt her mother's gaze on her back, "Don't worry mama I will be fine, I promise."

"You'll be married to Richard, Duke of Gloucester. He is the youngest brother of the new King of England and he is your age as well. I'm sure you both will get along quite nicely." Matilda reassured. Mary nodded in acknowledgment and Matilda decided it was best to let her daughter to be alone for now. So, she headed back inside the castle.

      Feeling her mother leave, Mary sighed as she felt the light breeze softly kissing her face and pushing her hair back as she continued to look out to the horizon

Feeling her mother leave, Mary sighed as she felt the light breeze softly kissing her face and pushing her hair back as she continued to look out to the horizon. Thinking of all the possible possibilities her marriage can become to be. Her last thought before she turned around to head back inside the castle was...

I hope we will grow to love each other Richard.