OF MAGIC AND LEGENDS

I opened my eyes to a familiar sight of darkness with a sigil hanging high over my head. I was in my 'eye'. I was standing and at my feet were Katie and Dusk while Mugen stood tall in front of me.

"Why am I here?" I asked impatiently.

"Prr-prr rrprrprrr." said Katie, circling my feet.

"I'm grateful that you guys want to protect me, I really am, but we can't waste time like this." I bent down and picked her up.

"My last master sacrificed himself for what he believed in," said Dusk, "If I was to allow you to follow this self-destructive path, I don't think I could look him in the eye whenever we meet again."

"Well..." I was sure of what I wanted, but he made too much sense to argue. I shifted my gaze to Mugen, looking down at me. "What more can you do as a summon?"

"Gaze into my eyes and you shall see." He lowered his head to my height.

I stared into the yellow orbs and saw more than I could describe at once. "Wow. That's a lot." I paused and thought back on what I saw. "You have a human form?"

"We all do," said Dusk, "But you haven't seen into my eyes yet, have you?"

I stooped down and stared into his eyes as I have with Mugen. He was right. There was a world of magic I didn't know existed. I looked down at Katie in my arms and she stared starry-eyed into mine. Unlike the other two, there wasn't much to her, but she was new to being a summoned creature.

Looking around, I saw that some were missing. "Where are Meo and Sandra?"

"They're outside keeping an eye on you," said Dusk.

"Where am I? I mean, my body, I guess."

Dusk looked up toward the sigil above us. "We're at an inn, don't worry. You're being taken care of by a doctor. Hopefully, the surgery is a success."

"Surgery?" I looked down at my feet. I had no idea that my condition was so bad. "For what?"

"You have a deep cut dangerously close to your heart and your arms are riddled with fractures. Not to mention cuts and bruises across your body. You're lucky none of your wounds have been infected."

"How long do I have to be here?" I asked, now solemnly aware of my fragility.

"As long as you want until you awaken."

"Then I should leave here now." I closed my eyes.

My eyes flickered open as a blindingly bright streak of pain raced from my shoulder across my chest and down both my arms. I dared not make any quick movements, so I sat up slowly. Everything ached and I could feel my blood rush with every pulse. There was a series of bandages across my chest and around my arms. I was in a bed in an inn.

A familiar woman in all white sat by my side in a wooden chair. She was sound asleep and lightly snoring with a silver harp leaning on a wall at her side. Meo was asleep in her lap and Sandra was staring at me from her shoulder.

"She's the doctor?" I asked between pained groans.

"We had no choice," said Sandra, "When you lost consciousness, it was like all your wounds reopened at once and she offered to help." She fluttered down to my lap. "It was either accept her help or watch you die." I lifted Sandra and stared into her eyes. "Is there a problem?" She tilted her head.

"Huh, It's not working with you."

"When we formed our contract, it was on the basis of equality. That's why it won't work." She looked up and down my right arm, coated in a rainbow of color. "That's also why you don't have a green tattoo."