Dragons

Sage

It was warm and sunny out. My cloak was on behind me in the satchel and my dirty white uniform was starting to strangle me. The thick air blew at my face, bringing my hair to the side and I sighed that it was still its strong silver. My eyes were still cloudy and my body was still cadaverous. I hadn't been normal since Yennefer's attack. I missed my red hair.

"It's getting hot don't you think?" Jaskier called from behind, his horse was getting slow just like mine. "I think there's a tavern up ahead."

"We'll stay there for the rest of the day and leave tomorrow," I told him. He sighed in agreement. My horse made way up the small hill and we spotted the brown pub in the distance. To reach the checkpoint, we galloped to the front and wet let the horses drink water under the shade.

Jaskier opened the door for me and we entered. It was dark with yellow lights illuminating around, and luckily, it was cool. I took off my vest before sitting down and ordered water. Jaskier was panting.

"Borch Three Jackdaws," a man introduced himself. "This is Téa and Véa." I looked at him and his two warriors, partially uninterested due to my tiredness, and without a word, I eyed him to continue. He sat down in order to do so. "I've never met a banshee before."

I blinked slowly, knowing that he knew just from my transition. "Sage Anika," I replied. "This is Jaskier."

"I've heard you've been traveling with a Witcher," he began. "Where is Geralt of Rivia?"

"Not here," I told him. "We've parted ways."

"That's unfortunate. But that's okay because I'd rather speak with you." Jaskier had now been talking with the warriors before Barch continued, "In the mountains, a green dragon that has been attacking and killing villagers who've crossed its path. Because of this, the king has ordered for it to be killed. People have been gathering in teams to kill it and collect the prize and I was wondering if you want to join my team."

"You should've gone to the Witcher," I said. "Dragons seem so... unreal."

"I could say the same for you," he replied. "It's my first time meeting a banshee and I don't have a lot of firsts left."

"And... who else will be hunting this dragon?"

"Dwarves, Reavers, led by some chap, Boholt, and some pompous knight," he listed. I gazed at the two teams, one of the short men and the other of ravagers, and I looked around for the third. Just then, the door swung open, spraying in sunlight, and a knight entered with a familiar mage and Witcher.

"I'm in," I said to his surprise.

"We're in?" Jaskier asked, hesitantly. When he saw who I'd seen, he understood. "We're in."

"When does the hunt start?" I asked.

"Tomorrow. Tonight, we'll meet the other contestants, pack, and get a good night's sleep." He patted the table before getting up to wander around with his warriors behind him.

"How are you feeling?" Jaskier asked me.

"I don't know," I said. "A little tempered that I might go off the rails but, I'm okay... for now."

"I'll do my best to keep you in check."

I nodded, facing the tavern, and took a sip of my water, seeing Geralt trying to get a glimpse of me. "Let the games begin."

—————

The morning had come quicker than I thought and I road on my horse to the first checkpoint in the trees where everyone had gathered. There, we had to leave our horses so I grabbed a pack and my cloak. Jaskier had a few things to carry for himself. Barch was empty-handed and so were his warriors.