Wraiths

Sage

I finally stopped screaming. Not to catch my breath but to cover my ears. I then let out a frightened wail from Cirilla's voice that shattered my eardrums that stretched across the Continent for me to hear. I knew that everyone else could hear it and it wasn't just me.

I let go of my son, confusion and concern rushing through me because I could hear monoliths shattering, the one in Cintra being the loudest. Each one was a sonic boom, boom, boom, ringing through my ears and the drop of each shard was another sound.

I let go of my ears, my hands trembling from the stacked events compiling upon each other and I knew another was coming. From the static in my hair, I brushed my hair down but it still continued to rise.

Everyone looked up to see the clouds quickly form, whooshing together as if they were being controlled. Lightning crackled and the Continent was bright for just a split second before it returned to dark. Behind me, I could hear Emhyr laughing, cackling like a madman, even, but I couldn't mind him.

The abnormal circle the lightning was making was just above our heads and it formed a single line, striking right in front of me. I shielded myself and my son with his bloody cape and I was surprised the strike wasn't too powerful like an explosion.

I heard many horses neigh, about four, and hooves trot back and forth. Footsteps landed in some mud and I finally removed my minor sense of protection. I looked up, my lips pulling apart, to see the Wraiths of Morhogg on this Continent. One of them, who I assumed was the leader from the long, pointy crown on his head, was standing in front of me.

I would've thought he was a ghost but he wasn't, he was just a man. A man in thick animal bone armor; pants of goatskin, ribs, and legs going around his waist, teeth decorating his shoes, his left arm completely built out of parts, but his right arm and the rest of his upper chest was bare. His shoulders were broad and planks sat on them, extending further, sharper.

I finally met his face, or what was supposed to be there because his face was hidden behind a skull mask, sharpened to be smooth. The crown that he wore on top of it was just the same, but with sharp and narrow curves sticking out. I tried to find eyes but there weren't any, just dark mist smoking out of them.

I quickly crawled backward, leaning back towards my son when he came to me. I could feel my chest rising and falling and I began crying, afraid of what was coming. I thought I was going to die but what he did next proved me wrong.

The wraith stretched out his good arm, lending out a hand to me. I immediately stopped crying and stared at it. I glanced at Jaskier, who was watching along with everyone else and took his hand. His strength lifted me in one pull and I stood in front of him. He was tall, possibly a few feet taller than Geralt, but it wasn't intimidating.

"Sage," he stated. His voice was like the sound of a thousand men ready for war and I could hear every bit of malice in their voice.

"How do you know my name?"

"You were running to me on my world and they were screaming for you."

"Then-then how'd you get here?" I inquired.

"You and the Daughter of Chaos opened a gate for us to jump through," he answered. "Where is she?" I didn't answer. He looked back at his men on dead horses and the people looking intently at him. "Tell me, why do you cry?"

My eyebrows furrowed and my eyes filled with water. "My-my son is dead. He is dead."

"Take revenge."

I turned my head, my eyes locking with Emhyr's, and I looked back at the wraith. "I can't," I breathed. I sniffled and turned around, glancing at Jaskier to help me with his body.